Trying to Connect to MySQL through Network - 403 Error

Bing Dicklepuss

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)

MySQL client version: 5.1.41

PHP extension: mysqli

I have set up a web server on an ubuntu machine inside my home network.  I can connect to it via FTP (although that connection is strangely very slow), and I can access the databases through phpMyAdmin.  But when trying to set up Dreamweaver on my Windows machine to connect remotely, I keep getting a 403 error.  I am entering the correct, newly created user and password for the db I am trying to access.  I tried connecting by specifying the host IP address (inside the network) and by using the web address (which may amount to the same thing, since i have it aliased in my hosts file).

I have used Dreamweaver to connect to other webhosts, so perhaps there is some problem with my.cnf on the host machine.

Some my.cnf settings that might be relevant:

<code>skip-external-locking

bind-address = 127.0.0.1</code>

What confuses me is that phpMyAdmin works without any problems.  If it can connect, why can't I?

Is there a way I can test a remote connection to the db outside of Dreamweaver that might enable me to troubleshoot the problem more efficiently?

Thanks,

Bing

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.