News Feed Database Implementation

shintei

So for a web system I have been building, I want to use a news feed system that displays whats happened that involves the user while they where away/logged out

Ex.

• Sue has sent you a message
  • Bobby has invited you to an event

My question is on how others would normally store this. My first though was to make a table which would hold one row per user. The row would then have two column, one called feed which would hold a concatenated listing of events that have occurred. The issue with that though is it would be a pain to try and remove old feeds. I don't need to store things that happened a month ago.

I also though of inserting a new row for each event, and then have a script that runs every so many days deleting feeds that are of X days old. The problem with this though, is I imagine that the table could get pretty large and could cause a lot of Overhead (correct me if I am wrong).

Does anyone know how this is usually done? I also apologizes in advance if this topic has been discussed prior. I did a quick search but didn't find much.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.