php tags

monkeytooth

<?php

is the only syntax i use. Right now as of very recently I picked up a project that is almost done but not quite, coder bailed, so while I am going through tryin to figure out his logic, I start coming across tags

<?=

like that, I never seen that tag before so I was wondering what it was.

as for

<?

I try to avoid using it like that as I know if the server isnt configured right it wont recognize it. or on a flip not some host providers completely null that out as it conflicts some places..

But hearing about

<? and <?= 

being depreciated.. makes me want to stay away from it more lol, but now im looking at it and sitting here stupid cause i gotta fix all that lol

EDIT: I see I was beaten to the submit button . . .  ^ ^ ^

It's easy to search and replace those in an editor.

1) replace '<?=' with '<? echo '

2) replace '<?' with '<?php'

3) replace '<?phpphp' with '<?php' (just in case there were already proper <?php tags already in the code.)

no, they used <?=

so that I have to fix throughout, as this software is developed with the intention of multiple systems not just the one its being built on.

You wouldnt happen to know which version of PHP <?= and or <? was depreciated in would you? or what version it gets written completely out of..

Its all good though, I really appreciate the quick answers from everyone. Yea the text editor bit or a grep search in general will take care of it all. But again I just wanted to ensure there wasn't some unknown logic to those tags being used as In my years I never seen them. Always <?php at worst <? only

deprecated - In computer software or authoring programs standards and documentation, the term deprecation is applied to software features that are superseded and should be avoided.

depreciated - refers to two very different but related concepts:

1. decline in value of assets, and

2. allocation of the cost of assets to periods in which the assets are used.

3) Change all <?php= to <?php echo
Note that this won't work.  Proper syntax:

<?=$var?>

<?php echo $var; ?>

Note the semicolon.

Also, BlueSkyIS is spot-on about deprecation. It means "still works but don't write NEW code with it," not "doesn't work."

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.