Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

artfuldrone

Grabbing post values, then modifiying them

Here's my situation: I am building a lyrics database for a project. I'm now working on a page where I can add albums. Firsty, I enter how many tracks are in the album, and from there I enter the songs.

What my problem is, is that I somehow need to grab all post values (eg. tracks) from the form, and modify them and insert the values into a MySQL query.

So if the album only had 4 songs, the query would look like this:

insert into albums_table (track1, track2, track3, track4) values('$_POST['track1']', '$_POST['track2']', '$_POST['track3']', '$_POST['track4']')

Of course if the next album had 12 songs the query would need to change.

I'd also like to add a few functions to the values like 'trim' and 'ucwords'.

As much help as possible will be greatly appreciated.

There's always a better way, but this is how I would do it.

[code=php:0]
$query="INSERT INTO `albums_table` (";
do {
    $query.="`".key($_POST)."`,";
} while(next($_POST));
$query=substr($query,0,-1);
reset($_POST);
$query.=") VALUES (";
do {
    $query.="'".current($_POST)."',";
} while(next($_POST));
$query=substr($query,0,-1);
$query.=")";
mysql_query($query);
[/code]

Well I would do it sloppy but the easy way, and much easier to read and debug, though significantly SLOWER. Put each track into an array.
[code]
for($i = 0; $i < count($tracks_array); $i++)
{
    $sql = "INSERT into albums_table (track" . $i . ") VALUES ('$track_array[$i]')";
    mysql_query($sql) OR die("Fatal Error: " . mysql_error() . "");
}
[/code]

Hopefully you see the slowdown here, I am doing a query for every track, which in your case probably should'nt matter, looping through this 15 or 20 times inst a big deal. Now a few hundred or thousand, I would'nt do the code I wrote above. For me though, the easy nature and easy reading makes the above my choice.

you could just make a seperate table in sql for the tracks. then have say id, album_id, trackname.
just another suggestion for you to ponder over...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.