Complex HTML as a string in JS?

DWilliams

There's about 3 or 4 different forums I could post this in, but I guess I'll pick this one.

Long story short I have an AJAX call that returns some code to be eval'd. In this case, it needs to update the report container div on my page with the results of the AJAX call.

I'm not very experienced with JavaScript but this should be a simple enough task. When I set my AJAX function up to return

document.getElementById('reportarea').innerHTML = 'test';

Then it works just fine. If I replace "test" with my report's HTML, nothing happens (presumably JS is erroring out on it). Now, I just figured this was a case of not escaping quotes or something, but I ran my report HTML through addslashes() and the same thing happens.

The HTML the AJAX function returns is unpredictable and can contain all sorts of wonky stuff like linebreaks, semicolons, quotes, brackets, and whatever else. Currently this is a sample of what it's trying to return that does not work:

document.getElementById('reportarea').innerHTML = '<b>Client:</b>CLIENTNAME<br />
<b>Date Range:</b> <br /><br />

<table border=\"0\" cellpadding=\"4\" cellspacing=\"0\">
<tr>
<th>Listed</th><th>Acct #</th><th>Name</th></tr>
<tr>
<td>11/16/2009</td><td>AE1000</td><td>JOHN DOE</td><td>1600.00</td></tr>
<tr>
<td>11/16/2009</td><td>AE1000</td><td>JOHN DOE</td><td>1600.00</td><td>11/16/2009</td><td>AE 1001</td><td>JANE DOE</td><td>700.00</td></tr>
</table>
<br /><br />
<b>Number of Accounts:</b> 2<br />
<b>Total Placement Amount:</b> 2300<br /><br />
<b>NOTE: Interest, if assigned, will accrue on the above account(s).
<br />
Thank you for choosing OURCOMPANY for your collection needs!</b>

';

What do I actually need to do to prepare this HTML to be acceptable to JavaScript?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.