Gather Specific Data from tables

Eliasen

Hi everyone,

My problem is, I have a Database with the tables called:

Items

Items_stats

The Items table contains the standard values that apply to all items, like name, value, picture, etc.

The Items_stats table contains the specific customer stats for the individual items, and looks like this: id | item_id | stat | value

Here is my problem.

Since the "stat" and "value" values can be anything, how can I make it so that checks: if the "stat" value is called "age", display the "value" value?

I tried with the join syntax, but no luck.

Hope you can help me.

Sincerely

(MySQL v: 5.5.8 - PHP v: 5.3.3 - Apache v: 2.2.17)

Thanks for the quick reply!

The problem is that the "items_stats" table, which looks like this: [id | items_id | stat | value], the "stat" and "value" can be anything i choose to put in it.

eg. some entries might look like this:

[id | items_id | stat | value]

1  | 1            | sex  | male

2  | 1            | age | 18

3  | 2            | zip  | 4000

4  | 2            | server | Dell

the Stat and the value can be anything, so if I need to show the items stats where I want them to be shown eg.:

<td>'. $data['name'] .'</td>

<td>'. $data['sex'].'</td>

<td>'. $datas['zip'] .'</td>

<td>'. $data['server'] .'</td>

how can I do this? because when I do a normal JOIN syntax query it It just spews out the information in random order or like this:

sex, age, zip,server,male,18,4000,Dell

whoa there....I think what you need to do is revisit your table structures.  You should have seporate columns for most of the things you have in stat.

Yea I was thinking this as well.. maybe add all rows to one table and take the information with a regular query? Or is this a bad idea?

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it!

Sorry for the double post,

If i put all the items into one table, many of the items will have rows which they do not use, say I merge a "personal info" table and "cars" table, so the cars will have rows with "sex" "age" "zipcode" etc, and the personal info will have "Manufactura" "make" etc.

Will this be a problem? or should I just ignore this and assign a default value like 0?

From your inital description I don't think merging into a single table will be the answer.  Items has inital information regarding, well, an item.  Item_stats has some more in-deapth information.  You arn't going to want to access the information on Item_stats untill the end user shown an intrest in a perticular item.  The question is, how many real records do you have in Item_stats?  You either have the choice of moving the info out, to another differently named table, OR you can just delete the content and start from scratch....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.