my blog

Grandioso

Here is the URL.

Check it out and give me some feedback. No hatin' please.

I could also use some advice on the search button - I couldn't get rid of that space between the input field and the button. Chrome and FF draw the button lower, Opera displays it higher than the input field, I want it to be right next to it.

First I wanted it to be compatible with all browsers, that's why I used so many images instead of CSS3, but then I realised It's harder than I thought. I didn't yet check it in IE, since I'm on Linux.

I could also use some advice on the search button - I couldn't get rid of that space between the input field and the button. Chrome and FF draw the button lower, Opera displays it higher than the input field, I want it to be right next to it.

Set the vertical-align property to middle for the #searchInput and #searchSubmitButton elements.

---

As sandeepcr2 said, there's a lot of space and it doesn't quite look right. I'm also not keen on the choice of font. The one you're using always looks stretched and a little awkward to read in my opinion. The kind of minty pale green colour scheme with the beige background doesn't do it for me either; almost looks bland and dated.

The dotted borders mixed with the solid corners looks wrong, and the fairly blurred images used for the header let the site down. The tag cloud looks odd; like there positioned in random places. I'm putting that down to the font and/or margins.

There's a flicker when mousing over some of the images that you have grey-scale versions of, which would be better done by pre-loading the images.

Looking at the source it's a little mark-up heavy. I think you could condense that down quite a bit. Like for example why wrap the navigation list within a DIV, when you could just apply the same margins to the UL element and achieve the same effect? There's also no use of semantic text tags; p, h1, h2, etc.

Not to completely put the site down though, it's a really good effort, but this is a critique after all.

Set the vertical-align property to middle for the #searchInput and #searchSubmitButton elements.

Thanks !

As sandeepcr2 said, there's a lot of space and it doesn't quite look right. I'm also not keen on the choice of font. The one you're using always looks stretched and a little awkward to read in my opinion. The kind of minty pale green colour scheme with the beige background doesn't do it for me either; almost looks bland and dated.

There's always ever a bunch of people who don't like the font. I only used it for the parts with short text, because it looked really weird in Opera.

The dotted borders mixed with the solid corners looks wrong, and the fairly blurred images used for the header let the site down. The tag cloud looks odd; like there positioned in random places. I'm putting that down to the font and/or margins.

What do you think I should do with the tag cloud ?

What do you mean blurred images ? There's a weird spot where the left/right image and the background meet, but I couldn't get rid of that.

There's a flicker when mousing over some of the images that you have grey-scale versions of, which would be better done by pre-loading the images.

Will do.

There's also no use of semantic text tags; p, h1, h2, etc.

There will be. This is just a preview.

I did the image preloading with CSS, but it looks really f*cked up in Chrome (at least in my version of Ubuntu Chrome) - it displays the "image not found" image near the buttom of the page. Here's how I did it (googled this solution) :

I put all the images in a div and applied the following styles:

#preloadedImages {
position: absolute;
overflow: hidden;
left: -9999px; 
top: -9999px;
height: 0px;
width: 0px;
}

I also made the header of post to be h2 and put an invisible h1 with the site description in it.

And what exactly did you mean with "lots of white space" ?

How wide is your window ? It looks a bit weird on my fullHD monitor when on fullscreen, but my browser is always sized down to around 1200px.

What do you think should I do about it ?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.