Ignore Punctuation

The Little Guy

in a match against search, is it possible to ignore punctuation?

for example, I have McDonald's in the table, and if I do a search like this mcdonalds, I get no results. If I search for mcdonald I will get results. So how can I ignore punctuation marks, so no matter how I search mcdonald, mcdonalds, McDonald's I will get similar results?

You can't do that.  The punctuation isn't the problem, the problem is that you are searching for either '%value%' or 'value%'. either way, your search string doesn't match the value in the table.  It's nothing to do with punctuation.  e.g. if you had 'Taco Bell' in your database and searched for 'Taco Belle' you would get nothing, nor would you get anything if you searched for ' Tacco Bell' or 'Taco Sell'.  This is because the characters you are submiting in the string do not match the characters that are in the same postion in the strings that are already stored.

Can you use a regular expression in php to first remove any punctuation??

$string = preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9 ]/','',$string);

no, I need to keep the format of the text in the database

I'm curious, how would it affect the format in the database? Wouldn't it just switch mcdonald's to mcdonalds in the string to use in the match?

None of this matters.  You need to store a clean version of your strings, depending on how you're searching.  Substring matches depend on the content, same with the definition of "alphanumeric', the list goes on.  Without true full-text searching (i.e. stemming, etc.), this is all smoke and mirrors.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.