Force new topics to have code in them??

It would be nice if the forums (in the correct categories) did the following on NEW topics..

1)  Scan the post to make sure there are "code" blocks and/or some actual code

2)  IF not then throw a pop up notice "We notice that you do not have any code in your new topic or forgot to use the code brackets.  Please review your post and put any necessary code examples so that your question can be answered in the most efficient manner."

AS an example if you have a "gmail" account.  Type someone and email and in the body put "I've attached the file for you."  Gmail will actually alert you that you said you were going to attach something but didn't actually have any attachment.

This idea is far too restrictive IMO.

At quick glance yes it may be.  But possibly even a reminder.  It may only apply to THIS forum...

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?board=1.0

Very very often there are new people that forget to post code and/or use code blocks.  Maybe even a little reminder stating "are you sure you didn't want to include any code?" or something along those lines may help.  No need to absolutely REQUIRE code.. but just a suggestion to put it in there.  Again this is ONLY on the NEW topic itself.  Not on any replies.

Can you elaborate on why you think it is too restrictive?  Just curious

Thanks again though guys for this kick ARSE site.  I really do appreciate it.

We could spend all day coming up with legitimate questions that do not require the posting of code. 

I agree that it is annoying when someone asks for help and doesn't bother to make the effort to provide relevant details, but there's no way we can really automate qualifying posted content like that within an acceptable margin of accuracy.

Anyways, when I walk into a thread and see that someone clearly hasn't made an effort to properly explain a problem and give details, I usually walk right back out the door.  I'm not here to help people overcome lack of common sense, and I know from experience that 9/10 times you will be spending much of the time just trying to wrestle info out of someone and get them to stop being retarded about listening to you, than actually fixing the problem. 

The overall point here is that most people don't "forget" to do things like post relevant code/details.  They simply don't do it because they don't think about it at all.  Or they somehow think you're psychic.  We have posted general rules and guidelines for making posts and even doing it the smart way.  We even up until recently w/ forum upgrade had in big bolded red letters a link to the rules/guidelines right above the post button (it got lost in the forum recent forum upgrade and needs to be added back).  If people don't bother with that, they aren't going to bother with this other stuff.

To sum up,  I think I can speak for most people here in saying that we aren't interested in helping people who can't be bothered to help themselves or make an effort on their end.  We're here to teach, not do people's work for them, and the more we hand-hold them, the more we promote the notion of not making an effort on their end.

To sum up,  I think I can speak for most people here in saying that we aren't interested in helping people who can't be bothered to help themselves or make an effort on their end.  We're here to teach, not do people's work for them, and the more we hand-hold them, the more we promote the notion of not making an effort on their end.

Well said.  Ummm.. I've got nothing ;-).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.