how to write this mysql_real_escape_string into dropdownlist?

antonyfal

Hi.

I got this code below, which makes a dropdownlist. the value is passed in a string to a URL. The value EXAMPLE: is 13:30pm, but what reaches the URL is 13    If i add the mysql_real_escape_string, the full value is passed to the URL. BUT so is the "mysql_real_escape_string".. what is wrong with this code?

this example does not work period:

$query = "SELECT DISTINCT timeslot_start FROM #__profile_rates ORDER BY timeslot_start ASC";

$dropDownList ="<select class=\"inputbox\" name=\"timeslotstart\">";

$timeslotstarts =doSelectSql($query);

foreach ($timeslotstarts as $timelotstart)

{

$timeslot_start=mysql_real_escape_string($timelotstart->timeslot_start);

$dropDownList .= "<option value=$timeslot_start>".$timeslot_start."</option>";

}

$dropDownList.="</select>";

$output['TIMESLOTSTART']=$dropDownList;

but if i change to this it works but gives the "mysql_real_escape_string" in the url

{

$timeslot_start=$timelotstart->timeslot_start;

$dropDownList .= "<option value=mysql_real_escape_string($timeslot_start)>".$timeslot_start."</option>";

}

//Url looks like www.xxxx.com/xxx/x//xxxx/timeslotstart=mysql_real_escape_string(13%3A30pm),

Everything is correct except the mysql_real_escape_string and the "(" and  ")" should not be passed.

how can i write this?

The function mysql_real_escape_string() should only be used when the data is going to be used with a mysql query. Never when the data is going to the browser.

Ken

Thanks ken for the reply.

Can you show me example of how to get the correct output for the real escape string in the value of the <select list?.

All the examples ive come across use echo and i need an example with output.

I need to get the "value=" to be an already real_escaped string(array).. but i just need an example how to call it from the database.

Best regards

Antony

Dont know what you want exactly... but try this.

{
            $dropDownList .= "<option value=".$timeslot_start.">".$timeslot_start."</option>";
            }

Dont know what you want exactly... but try this.

{
            $dropDownList .= "<option value=".$timeslot_start.">".$timeslot_start."</option>";
            }

Hi thanks for the reply.

I ve done this way already, has same result// only 13 appears in the "URL"---

I think what i need is to find away to get a "\" to the ":"  So value is = 13\:30pm and then remove it as its passed to URL so that 13:30pm is passed..

Any ideas?

// I wrote the above and didn't post- so ill just continue here with my solution:

I replaced the little ":" with an "h" and removed the "am" and "pm" now the full value passes to "URL" 13h30.

its not what i wanted, but its good enough for now.

Thanks!

All you need is to add the quotes around the value= attribute, and drop the string concatenation. You use mysql_real_escape_string() when you are inserting data into a MySQL database, not when you're building a form.

{
            $dropDownList .= "<option value=\"$timeslot_start\">$timeslot_start</option>";
            }

but if i change to this it works but gives the "mysql_real_escape_string" in the url

{

$dropDownList .= "<option value=mysql_real_escape_string($timeslot_start)>".$timeslot_start."</option>";

}

{
			$dropDownList .= "<option value=" . mysql_real_escape_string($timeslot_start) . ">".$timeslot_start."</option>";
			}

Try this...

Thanks to all for the reply's to my problem above...

I have to say that now i understand why the internet does things slightly different to the english dictionary.

I did a quick fix on the above problem i had. I replaced the ":" with an "h" so now its 20h30 instead of 20:30 am

its works fine for me.

I will spend time on this little problem again and if i get the proper solution i will post it.

Best regards

Tony

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.