My First Wordpress Theme Which I Created with Your Help!

chaseman

I started learning PHP three month ago in the beginning of this year, I've learned the most stuff I know about PHP on this forum, a big thanks for all the helpers.

To the Wordpress Theme:

Since I now can deal with the basics of PHP I thought to myself I'd get into creating Wordpress themes, I heard the market is booming and if you look on market places almost every template sells at least one time, even the not so good ones.

I'm using the theme on my own blog as for now and I'm test driving and fine tuning it. You can have a look at it here: http://www.webprofitideas.com

I did exactly the way how I like a design, simple, fresh, clean. It consists almost only out of CSS and contains only 3 graphics, which are the logo, the comments bubble, and the RSS graphic in the footer.

The blog posts themselves cannot break the design because I wrote a function which will shorten the title or the category or even the author name if it is too long. I also wrote a simple if statement which will check if the logo in the header exists or not, if it doesn't then the header will display the blog name in simple styled up text form.

The comments section looks very stylish IMO and I've only been able to get it this way by accident.

I especially would like to have constructive criticism on the colors, my laptop is displaying everything fine, but my desktop LCD is much brighter and shinier and it's displaying the light colors not so good, I often use the color aliceblue as a background color, for example when you hover over a div, this color does not get displayed so well on my desktop LCD, and I'm not quite sure which one to trust, or if I should change the color. But I'm tending more towards the laptop when it comes to trusting.

Thanks.

One of the mods removed your other thread, as I guess he felt it was redundant, when we already have this area for feedback.  Overall, I think you made a nice clean, aethetically pleasing wordpress theme.  I don't know that the header logo really fits the subject matter -- it looks a little artsy-crafty, or maybe something that would go well on a blog about the environment or gardening.  Given that there is a robust market for wordpress themes you might have success selling it.

Thank you a lot gizmola,

when I posted the thread the theme looked totally different, way less graphic work, it was pure CSS. Then I went to theme forest and looked in the forums, people were posting their rejected themes and most of the time they got rejected simply because they didn't have that professional touch to it. I realized to even have this theme accepted I have to make it look WAY more professional than it does now. So I switched the logo to a more elegant and glossy looking one, I added a background, worked a little more on the footer, made the colors more coherent, and suddenly it all made a clean professional look.

Now for the first time I believe I can get this accepted, though I'd have to add a start page (preferably with a slideshow, a lot of times they even require that), and I also will have to ad a custom function that will make this theme unique to the others.

You basically spoke out what I was thinking myself the theme looks very fresh and kind of has that nature vibe to it, not something you'd necessarily use for an Internet Entrepreneur blog.

Thank you for your feedback by the way, you put my attention to a critical design issue, I just now worked on the design more.

I had a decision to make, the design was already hinting to a botanic direction, and I thought to myself either I go all the way and make it complete botanic and nature, by adding for example, grass illustration at the bottom to the footer, and I even had the idea of adding a flowerpot. I'm sure it all would have looked good, but I wasn't quite sure if this is the direction I wanted to go. I also thought to myself that I wanted to use the theme for my own blog, so I finally made the decision to switch it up to a more Internet Entrepreneur "theme" fitting design.

What I did was I added clouds to the background and I added a gradient to the footer. After this I will change up the logo to something that fits the term Internet Entrepreneur more.

With all the "pro blogging" trend going on I think I did the better decision to go this road instead of going all the way botanic, since I believe this theme as it is now will be of interest for a bigger group of people.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.