Problem with concenating a string for some reason.

jayhawker

I normally don't have a problem with concenation, but for some reason I can't get it work in this case.

I have two form variables: firstname_ord and lastname_ord.

I have tried concenating them several ways, and get nothing afterwards.

attempt 1:

$lastname = "firstname_ord" . " " . "lastname_ord";

attempt 2:

$firstname = "firstname_ord";

$lastname = "lastname_ord";

$fullname = $firstname . " " . $lastname;

attempt 3:

$fullname = "firstname_ord";

$fullname = $fullname. " " . "lastname_ord";

attempt 4:

$fullname = "firstname_ord";

$fullname .="lastname_ord";

attempt 5:

$fullname = (string)"firstname_ord";

$fullname .= " ";

$fullname .=(string)"lastname_ord";

Thanks for the replies.  I am not normally using PHP (.net instead) and so I may be making some wrong assumptions here.  This is some rather old code that I didn't write, and I am trying to fix some things that never worked.

The existing code updates a record like this:

$updRecord_ord->addColumn("firstname_ord", "STRING_TYPE", "POST", "firstname_ord");

I can put any single form variable (i.e. lastname_ord, address_ord) in where the second "firstname_ord" is, and I do not have a problem. But if I try to place a variable that has been concenated instad, I get nothing as a result.  No error, just nothing.  If I have a name in the firstname field of the textbox, the record gets updated with the first name.

Here is a sample of the code:

$firstname = "firstname_ord". " " . "lastname_ord";

$updRecord_ord->addColumn("firstname_ord", "STRING_TYPE", "POST", $firstname);

firstname_ord and lastname_ord are names of textboxes as well as to have matcing names for columns in a MySQL Table.

They are in a table as such:

<td>

input type="text" name="firstname_ord" id="firstname_ord" value="<?php echo ASescapeAttribute($row_rs_ord['firstname_ord']); ?>" />

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><input type="text" name="lastname_ord" id="lastname_ord" value="<?php echo ASescapeAttribute($row_rs_ord['lastname_ord']); ?>" />

</td>

</tr>

Are you sure this line

<?php
$firstname = "firstname_ord". " " . "lastname_ord"; 
?>

didn't have "$" before "firstname_ord" & "lastname_ord"? If there was a "$" preceding those strings, then the old code would have been written at a time when register_globals was enabled.

That line would now product the value of "firstname_ord lastname_ord" in $firstname.

If you want the value of the text boxes in the form, you would need something like:

<?php
$firstname = "{$_POST['firstname_ord']} {$_POST['lastname_ord']}";
?>

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.