Pascal

I'm studying for a degree and part of the course is to learn Pascal - as an introduction to programming etc.

We started omn it way before I started looking int o php etc and found it to be a huge help for understanding loops and so on. 

I've now got a fairly uber assignment that needs to be done and wanting someone to test it for errors.  I've only dropped 8 or so marks out of 600 so far and want to get as close to 100% as i can.

Also, it's outdated, but you can still do some pretty clever stuff with it.

Pascal will teach you some basic concepts and fundamentals to programming.  I don't think learning any language could be detrimental, but there are other languages I certainly would rather spend my time on.

lol I remember learning pascal in highschool.  It was the "introductory" language for computer programming at my highschool.  Well, there was this "computer math" class that taught QBasic, but that didn't really count.  The actual "computer programming" class started with pascal, then moved on to C and then assembly. 

But that was like 20 years ago...I'm kinda surprised they still start there...but on the other hand, it is kinda a watered down version of C, maybe it is still okay to start there.../shrugs

lol, showing your age a bit there.

I think the main reasoin for them teaching us pascal is they want us to learn programming basics without contradicting anythign we might learn later on.  doesn;t make much sense but starting on java next year at a different uni, it's all the same course but different lecturers.

anyways...it's all good, spending more time trying to get my head arouns php and html/css instead.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.