help converting eregi_replace to php 5 code

redbrad0

Since eregi_replace is deprecated I am trying to convert it to a new regexp replace but cant seem to get it. I thought you could just replace eregi_replace with preg_replace but that is not working. Can someone help me with converting this as I cant seem to figure it out.

$text = eregi_replace('(((f|ht){1}tp://)[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%_\+.~#?&//=]+)', '<a href="' . $linkprefix . '\\1">\\1</a>', $text);
$text = eregi_replace('([[:space:]()[{}])(www.[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%_\+.~#?&//=]+)', '\\1<a href="' . $linkprefix . 'http://\\2">\\2</a>', $text);
$text = eregi_replace('([_\.0-9a-z-]+@([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]+\.)+[a-z]{2,3})', '<a href="mailto:\\1">\\1</a>', $text);

$text = preg_replace('~(((f|ht){1}tp://)[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%_\+.\~#?&//=]+)~i', '<a href="' . $linkprefix . '$1">$1</a>', $text);
$text = preg_replace('~([\s()\[\{\}])(www.[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%_\+.\~#?&//=]+)~i', '$1<a href="' . $linkprefix . 'http://$2">$2</a>', $text);
$text = preg_replace('~([_\.0-9a-z-]+@([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]+\.)+[a-z]{2,3})~i', '<a href="mailto:$1">$1</a>', $text);

Basically the things to note for converting php's posix regex functions to pcre regex are:

- The pcre functions need a starting/ending delimiter around the pattern, because pattern modifiers come after the ending delimiter.  The delimiter can be pretty much any non-alphanumeric character, as long as you remember to escape the character you choose, if you need to use that character within the pattern.

Example: "~pattern~modifier"

- The posix functions (ereg) have two separate functions for making case-insensitive (ereg vs. eregi) whereas the pcre functions use the i modifier

- posix regex has some "shortcut" character classes like :space: or :alnum: don't work, but do have pcre counterparts.  Like \s is for :space: and \w is for :alnum:

- The captured groups for replacements are represented by $n instead of \\n 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.