Adding a new column with auto increment to an existing table

wright67uk

Hello,

Im trying to add a new column to an existing table with the name 'ID' with 'auto_increment',  im still learning about the ins and outs of mysql.

When I add the column;

ALTER TABLE `business` ADD `ID` VARCHAR( 30 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT AFTER `Name` 

I get the error; #1063 - Incorrect column specifier for column 'ID'

Im basically trying to add a unique id number to each listing in my database, 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc.

+----+---------+

| id | name    |

+----+---------+

|  1 | dog    |

|  2 | cat    |

|  3 | penguin |

|  4 | lax    |

|  5 | whale  |

|  6 | ostrich |

+----+---------+

hence id being the new column im trying to create.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not 100% with this, as I'm fairly new myself, but I think you can only use auto increment on integers. Try setting the column to an integer instead of variable character and try again.

ALTER TABLE `business` ADD `ID` INT AUTO_INCREMENT AFTER `Name` 

You also don't want it to be Not Null, as when the data is submitted it will be null, and then the database will automatically fill in the field.

ALTER TABLE table-name ADD COLUMN id auto_increment MEDIUMINT(10) BEFORE name

You'll have to play with it, adding an auto_increment column to a table with existing data, hmm I don't know.

One time I wanted to add a not null column and I couldn't do it, I had to add the column, insert something into the column, then I renamed it not null. You may have to do something like that too.

.. other already told you that an Auto-Increment field MUST be a number and in addition:

- Must be a unique auto-increment in one table and it must be defined as a Key.

- BEFORE is no part of the syntaxes of ALTER TABLE

- If you want to insert the auto-increment field as the first one ... use FIRST (as in the example below)

try this:

ALTER TABLE `table-name` ADD COLUMN `id` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT FIRST,
ADD PRIMARY KEY (`id`);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.