How do websites like this work???

KyZu

Here's a random example:

macbundlebox.com/the-spring-bundle/ (I purposely excluded the http://www. so people won't think this

is spam)

Notice how there are 11 apps listed? So suppose someone buys the package, I'm assuming they get emailed a unique license/activation code to activate that particular software? Or they get a link to download the software? Or they email each customer a unique username/password to download that software.

I am not a PHP guru but I am almost certain that this is done in php and works in one of 3 ways:

- Either the app developers give a giant list of licenses that are assigned by the webmaster per  purchase

- A URL is pinged after each purchase which sends a license back and is directly emailed to the  customer

- A URL is pinged and the app developers send the license to the customer

So my question is...seeing as how most of you are very knowledgeable in PHP, is there any client management/billing software that you know of that could accomplish the above, and be easily managed  by a non-PHP guru (perhaps even be integrated into a CMS like Wordpress?)? If not, how much would it cost (give or take) to have it built?

I doubt there's anything to do with PHP in it. Most software are activated by a license (whatever form it may have) and I guess that's what activates those bundles. They may have generated a specific number of licenses, enough for the deal and upon payment, the buyer is provided (most surely by email) with his license. That license is then marked as "sold", so to not be used again. The only way to achieve this is to have all apps activate with one license, which I guess is easy for the developers.

Just a quick guess on how it may work. Don't have any real idea as I can't try the system, but something like the above mentioned should be a easy way of managing everything.

Thanks for your replies guys.

GuiltyGear I'm almost 99% sure it does use PHP simply because I heard many sites like this using PHP and a "paypal instant payment notification API" - not sure if that makes sense (again I don't know PHP). Also the apps are not activating with just 1 license since many of these apps come from various vendors.

Regarding this "mod-rewrite in Apache", not exactly sure what that does but if I hired someone skilled in PHP to design it, would I be able to manage it (I know enough programming and web design)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.