Does phpFreaks have any sister sites?

I have tried posting a couple different questions in the javascript forum.  but no luck with any answers yet.  No biggie.  The PHP coding help forum just seems to get quite a few more responses, which makes sense.

The community here really seems to be a great group.  I have been helped more times by this forum than I can count just by reading other topics.  Some of it is over my head, some I get quite readily.

Great site.

Thanks

Kansas

• 2 weeks later...

Back in around 2005 we did have ajaxfreaks and mysqlfreaks.  At some point the sites were done away with, which is a shame because there was some good content associated with each.  I'm not really sure why they decided to merge things, but that all happened years ago.

Ajax is really just a small part of javascript.  Not as many people read the javascript board, but I think our coverage there is pretty good, however, if you're not having much luck there are a lot of other forums out there that focus or have subboards about javascript that might try.  Sitepoint has a pretty active forum, and some good expertise there thanks to their books on the topic:  http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/javascript-15/

Ajax is really just a small part of javascript.  Not as many people read the javascript board, but I think our coverage there is pretty good, however, if you're not having much luck ...

If nobody is answering your question, I would also advise that you step back and take a look at the question you asked.  9/10 times I see a question going unanswered not because people don't know the answer, but because the poster doesn't know how to properly ask a question.  They tend to assume many things, short of the audience being psychic (and they expect even that sometimes!).  Pretend you are someone else reading it and have no prior knowledge of the context for which you are working in.  Did you provide enough back-story and detail? Did you provide enough relevant code?  Did you clearly and accurately explain the situation, what you are doing, what is not working, what you expect? Etc..

This is especially important with Javascript, because there are literally a billion different things that could be causing something to go wrong.  With php, there's only so many things that could be the culprit.  The script is being run on one server and doesn't care about multiple browsers etc.. It is a single script running and the only other scripts that might be an issue are what you specifically include in php. 

But with Javascript...you have to worry about different browsers and browser versions.  Even javascript syntax itself varies from browser to browser! You have to worry about random addons/extensions/plugins adversely affecting something.  You have to worry about whatever other script includes are on the page, like frameworks, etc.. 

If nobody is answering your question, I would also advise that you step back and take a look at the question you asked.  9/10 times I see a question going unanswered not because people don't know the answer, but because the poster doesn't know how to properly ask a question.  They tend to assume many things, short of the audience being psychic (and they expect even that sometimes!).  Pretend you are someone else reading it and have no prior knowledge of the context for which you are working in.  Did you provide enough back-story and detail? Did you provide enough relevant code?  Did you clearly and accurately explain the situation, what you are doing, what is not working, what you expect? Etc..

This is especially important with Javascript, because there are literally a billion different things that could be causing something to go wrong.  With php, there's only so many things that could be the culprit.  The script is being run on one server and doesn't care about multiple browsers etc.. It is a single script running and the only other scripts that might be an issue are what you specifically include in php. 

But with Javascript...you have to worry about different browsers and browser versions.  Even javascript syntax itself varies from browser to browser! You have to worry about random addons/extensions/plugins adversely affecting something.  You have to worry about whatever other script includes are on the page, like frameworks, etc.. 

CV,  you make some really good points.  I did not realize that javascript might run different in different browsers, but hey everything else is rendered different in the browsers, whey not js??? just follows the norm.

I did find solutions to my questions, and yeah I was in a bit of a panic when I posed them with a deadline looming.  I am putting myself between a rock and a hard place right now.  Learning html, css, php, mysql, etc....  as I completing projects.  I like programming overall, I really like the php and back end stuff more than the web display.  This site is a VALUABLE resource to beginning php programmers like myself. 

CV, Gizmola, Thorpe, and many others are very gracious in offering any advice.  I hope I can eventually give back to the community here, what I have gotten.

Thanks

Kansas

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.