iPhone / iPad app for MySQL viewing and editing???

Jim R

I don't know of anything nor would I hold my breath for such a tool.  With phpMyAdmin freely available there's just not much of a market for this type of program.  Also MySQL provides the MySQL workbench for free, so there's very few commercial tools (mysqlyog comes to mind) out there for mysql.  I used to maintain a list of them on the old mysqlfreaks site, but that went the way of the Dodo and so did the list.  Most MySQL servers are locked down to localhost access for security reasons, and it's an effort to even get the server configured to accept client application connections, which probably further contributes to the lack of demand.  Every host that provides mysql defaults to phpMyAdmin in their cpanel.

Define serious?  The ability to add names to my database while I'm away from my laptop will save me a great deal of time in certain moments.  I'll be in a gym late tonight, all day on Saturday and all day on Sunday.  If at the end of my trip all my new names are tucked away in my database before I even leave the gym, when I get to the hotel or home, I just lay down and go to sleep.

I'd just like to do it in spreadsheet form like I do with SQLyog.

It's definitely just for me, and you ran into the post where I'm trying to build that. 

Well, you said "mysql viewing and editing", which made it sound like you were looking for some non-php, third-party tool.

What is wrong with setting up phpMyAdmin and accessing it via safari?

Because using a crippled mobile device for a production environment is just a bad idea -- if something breaks, you want have the rest of your tools to fix it.

I'd rather view it like an editable spreadsheet, where I can edit multiple rows in one setting.

Again, that's relatively easy in PHP or any other scripting language -- but that way you can lock down what can be done from a silly iPad.

I'd rather view it like an editable spreadsheet, where I can edit multiple rows in one setting.

phpMyAdmin has browse mode where you can check multiple rows and go to the bottom and click edit and it gives you a form to edit as many rows at the same time as you have checked.  There's also the regular edit mode where you can edit a row and click the next row button and go through them very efficiently that way. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any experience with this?  I can't seem to locate anything aside from viewers.

I have tested the current phpmyadmin 3 on the ipad and it doesn't work too well, especially the table view. There seems to be at least one useful app for the ipad from impathic (just search mysql in the app store) but you can have it cheaper.

http://www.adminer.org/en/

Setup is very easy and the simplistic interface works great on the ipad.

Anyone have any experience with this?  I can't seem to locate anything aside from viewers.

I have tested the current phpmyadmin 3 on the ipad and it doesn't work too well, especially the table view. There seems to be at least one useful app for the ipad from impathic (just search mysql in the app store) but you can have it cheaper.

http://www.adminer.org/en/

Setup is very easy and the simplistic interface works great on the ipad.

Thanks for the tip on that looks like an interesting alternative to phpMyAdmin.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.