Current dissatisfied godaddy customer, HELP ME PLEASE!!!

phpJoeMo

Wow, need I say it again, Wow.

I am continually amazed at how badly Godaddy falls short every time of being able to answer my questions.

Check out this simple script:

$sock = fsockopen("smtpout.secureserver.net", 80, $errno, $errstr, 60);
if (!$sock) die("$errstr ($errno)\n");
fwrite($sock,"ehlo\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"auth login\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"c3VwcG9ydEsdfdsdfscGxhY2UuY29t\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"aFVoZWpzdsdfd2g=\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"mail from: <me@myaddress.com>\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"rcpt to:<someone@theiraddress.com>\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"data\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"From: 'me' <me@myaddress.com>\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"To: 'someone' <someone@theiraddress.com>\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"Subject: This is a test!\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"asdfasfffffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzdfasdf\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"\r\n");
fwrite($sock,".\r\n");
fwrite($sock,"quit\r\n");

$a = stream_get_line ($sock,55555);
var_dump($a)."\n";

This comunicates irc protocol to my Godaddy email account.  I created this for testing purposes.  Tyring to create a newsletter app.

THE SCRIPT RUNS FLAWLESSLY FROM MY LOCAL SERVER!!!!

After concluding that the problem was on Godaddy's end, I called them up.

After getting the usual back and forth garbage about how the problem is with my script, and they can't help me with that,  I finally made if very clear:  "I will bow a thousand times if you can do this one thing for me..." (speaking to the rep) "ask the admins this very simple and straight forward question:  CAN FSOCKOPEN REFERENCE ANY OTHER HOST OTHER THAN RELAY-HOSTING.SECURESERVER.NET?"

After another 5 minute hold this is the response I got:

"Not an yes/ or no answer, all I got was: You can certainly try..."

Silence.

I can certainly try?  That has got to be the dummest response I have ever heard to a simple question any admin should be able to answer.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION FOR YOU, FELLOW PHPFREAKS ... 

What is your preferred hosting solution?

Did you try and validate things yourself using telnet from a shell on the godaddy server?

When you talk about hosting, you have to provide some context: what type of hosting (shared, vps, cloud, dedicated) and how much you can afford to spend a month.  I can tell you for example, that Rackspace support is awesome.  As the old adage goes: you get what you pay for.

I have a friend who I created a site for that uses godaddy, and I had to deal with their support on a few things, and I got straight answers from them on a number of esoteric questions even when the answer wasn't really what we wanted to hear.  For example, we found that my friend's server has a gig nic in it, but it's plugged into a 100mb port, and there is no option for him to be moved to a gig switch.  He has a site that streams video content, so this was a concern for us at the time.  He probably gets better support because he pays for a dedicated server. 

Shared/cut rate hosting is going to have crap support in most cases, so I don't think it's something unique to godaddy. 

With that said, there are lots of better hosting companies in my opinion.  We have a huge thread on the subject, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the company that hosts phpfreaks.com main business is hosting. 

See thread Maq posted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.