I need a good forum software

stockstalker

I need a good forum software (paid or free) with the following criteria:

1. If I modify it, I retain the copyright to the modified parts (ie. if a third part comes along, they can have the unmodified part).

2. Few security holes.

3. Simple and light.

4. IMPORTANT: Ability to email user if someone replies to their post.

So, does anyone have a good recommendation?

1. If I modify it, I retain the copyright to the modified parts (ie. if a third part comes along, they can have the unmodified part).

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, forum software systems are like this, unless they are hosted for you.

2. Few security holes.

IPB, VB, SMF (doesn't have too many security holes), phpBB has been pretty good lately too

3. Simple and light.

SMF and phpBB are the lightest of the 4 mentioned above

4. IMPORTANT: Ability to email user if someone replies to their post.

All 4 have this ability AFAIK. Most forum systems do, it's just an option for the user.

Personally, I'm a fan of IPB. I love the coding (application & hook abilities), the amount of settings and choices I have as a forum admin, etc. However, it is quite large and can take a bit of resources. IMO try SMF or phpBB and see if you like them. If you need more options look into VB or IPB.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.