Storing a unique list of strings in an array

etrader

I want to store a list of strings in a file (to be called as an array) instead of database. Imagine that I have a string come out a search process

$q = $_GET['q'];

I can simply write the search history in a text file and call it by file()

But I want to assign a unique ID to each search term as

1:word1

2:wordx

3:word...

Now I can call each word by its given ID through an explode() process. But how I can assign the unique ID to each search-term?

there's really no advantage in doing this with txt files, I would use a simple database with a uniqueID and a text field, but, if you insist:

you can use a seperate file just to store the last id used, so it's easier to grab and increment:

$lastID = file_get_contents('lastSearchID.txt');

$lastID++;

file_put_contents('lastSearchID.txt',$lastID);

or you can read the last line of your main .txt file, grab the id, increment it and then use it for next search.

If you have many simultaneous connections, anticipate file_lock problems when two people are trying to write to it at the exact same time, etc.

A Database is much better and faster for this. If you just write a small function to store the search string, the ID will be automatic

function storeSearchString($string){
$conn = conn();
mysql_query("insert into `searchTracking` (`searchString`) values ('$string')",$conn);
@mysql_close($conn);
}

hope this helps

If you're tied to a text file then I would store an actual array using var_export() and then just include the file.  Or you could serialize the array and then save to / read from the file.  If you do this with multiple files or in multiple places maybe build two functions:

//save
include('file.txt');
$history[] = $new_item;
file_put_contents('file.txt', var_export($history, true));

//read
include('file.txt');
echo $history[1];

//or

//save
$history = unserialize(file_get_contents('file.txt'));
$history[] = $new_item;
file_put_contents('file.txt', serialize($history));

//read
$history = unserialize(file_get_contents('file.txt'));
echo $history[1];

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.