Login script not working, says "wrong username or password"

silverglade

Hi, this script looks fine, but I can't figure out what is wrong. It must be something on the "checklogin.php" page. When I enter in the registered user and password, which is in the database ok, it says "wrong user or pass". I don't see what is wrong with the code. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is the main login page.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>

<div align="center"><table width="300" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
<tr>
<form name="form1" method="post" action="checklogin.php">
<td>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<tr>
<td colspan="3"><div align="center"><strong>Member Login </strong></div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="78">Username</td>
<td width="6">:</td>
<td width="294"><input name="myusername" type="text" id="myusername"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Password</td>
<td>:</td>
<td><input name="mypassword" type="text" id="mypassword"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Login"></td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</form>
</tr>
</table>
</div>

</body>

</html>

that was the sign_in.php.  below is the checklogin.php

############### Code

<?php
$host		= " ";
$database 	= " ";
$username 	= " ";
$password 	= " ";
$tbl_name   = "users";
mysql_connect($host, $username, $password) or die("Could not connect: " . mysql_error());

mysql_select_db($database);

// username and password sent from form
$myusername=$_POST['myusername'];
$mypassword=$_POST['mypassword'];

// To protect MySQL injection (more detail about MySQL injection)
$myusername = stripslashes($myusername);
$mypassword = stripslashes($mypassword);
$myusername = mysql_real_escape_string($myusername);
$mypassword = mysql_real_escape_string($mypassword);

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE username='$myusername' and password='$mypassword'";
$result=mysql_query($sql);

// Mysql_num_row is counting table row
$count=mysql_num_rows($result);
// If result matched $myusername and $mypassword, table row must be 1 row

if($count==1){
// Register $myusername, $mypassword and redirect to file "login_success.php"
session_register("myusername");
session_register("mypassword");
header("location:login_success.php");
}
else {
echo "Wrong Username or Password";
}
?>

now here is the login success page but I never get there

############### Code

// Check if session is not registered , redirect back to main page.
// Put this code in first line of web page.
<?
session_start();
if(!session_is_registered(myusername)){
header("location:main_login.php");
}
?>

<html>
<body>
<p>Login Successful</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Welcome to the  members page. to log out click <a href="Logout.php">HERE. </a></p>
</body>
</html>

Thank you very much HDFilmMaker2112. That helped me get to the welcome page. It gives me the following warnings with this code though, headers already sent. Any more help I would be great . thanks.

EDIT: I found an answer but I don't know how to do it.

"In simple terms, you cannot have your header() [us3.php.net] function in the middle of a HTML page. You must find a way to have the header() [us3.php.net] function called before anything gets printed to the screen, including your HTML that you have before your PHP. "

if($count==1){
// Register $myusername, $mypassword and redirect to file "login_success.php"
$_SESSION['myusername']=$myusername;
$_SESSION['mypassword']=$mypassword;
header("location:login_success.php");
}

if (!isset($_SESSION['myusername']))
{
echo "Wrong Username or Password";
}
?>

// Check if session is not registered , redirect back to main page. // Put this code in first line of web page.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/bosweb/web173/b1739/login_success.php:5) in /hermes/bosweb/web173/b1739/login_success.php on line 6

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /hermes/bosweb/web173/b1739/public_html/login_success.php:5) in /hermes/bosweb/web173/b1739/public_html/login_success.php on line 6

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/bosweb/web173/b1739/public_html/login_success.php:5) in /hermes/bosweb/web173/b1739//public_html/login_success.php on line 8

Login Successful

Thank you very much HDFilmMaker2112!! Everything works now. I now have a completed registration and login system. very simple but works. I really need to study up on sessions and sql now. I got impatient learning the php syntax and just decided to rush into tutorials, and I managed to do pretty well, but it is kind of like getting into a sports car when you are only used to riding a bicycle. So I will try to read up more at the same time as the tutorials. But thanks for helping. Teaching myself php is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do, mainly because the lack of good php tutorials I find on the net. Most are old, poorly coded, or overly hard. But I will keep going. Thank you!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.