• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wannaknowit

wannaknowit
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

i'm setting up a website and i don't want my users to have to login or set up a new account to get to the chatroom and forums is there a way to do this, i'm a newbie so go easy on me lol

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

are you building your chatroom and forum yourself? Simply leave out the whole registration process. 

using 3rd party scripts? Most forum softwares allow you to alter the permissions of usergroups. You could simply alter it to give the "guest" or "unregistered user" or whatever permissions to post, etc...

and that's about all the help I can give without more info. 

p.s. - if it's 3rd party software, I suggest going to their website and asking them. 

Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 wannaknowit

wannaknowit
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

yeah they are third party scripts i wanted to know could i put them all in the same database so that they user information could stay the same over the entire site.

#4 Stooney

Stooney
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

thats not so easy, you would have to edit all the scripts to use the same session variables and the same users database.

<embed src='.wav' autostart='true' loop='false'
width='2' height='0'>
</embed>
i found that ERMMMMM thats called PHP!!!!

#5 wannaknowit

wannaknowit
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

would it be easier if i wasn't using 3rd party scripts?? 

#6 fert

fert
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:48 AM

would it be easier if i wasn't using 3rd party scripts?? 

well then you would have to write everything from scratch

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Gentoo Linux 2007.0 Firefox 2

#7 wannaknowit

wannaknowit
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

ok so use the 3rd party scripts and go in and change the user sessions?  is it really that difficult, or is it more of a do it once and cut and paste the rest???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users