after you learn the language, how do you think up projects?

silverglade

Hi, people told me on the forum the best way to learn is not to look at tutorials that only teach you to do a specific thing, but if I don't use tutorials, I don't know how to make any applications, but I haven't learned the language totally either. But when I try to think up a project, I don't know what to make. Should I just look at a list of things you can make with php, do the pseudocode for it, then write the program? That is the only thing I can think of other than just copying a tutorial which I don't think is a good idea, or never really taught me in the past.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Finding something to do isn't really a standard practice. What interests you? Try making a website about it. Once you have a basic layout in HTML/CSS complete, think about how you can make it more dynamic with PHP. Try implementing a user login/register system. Then build from there.

Thank you. Yes I have 2 website ideas. I will probably have to look up tutorials for the parts of it like "image gallery", or like I had to look up "registration and login" on google.  I will have to google "outputting html in php" or something similar because if I have a div that is going to have php output photos in thumbnails, I don't know how the vertical list of photos will effect the div which will expand and possibly change the page layout. I think I have to learn more about css and html. Does anyone know of a good book on CSS and HTML? I like having books. I do know about w3schools.com but I would like to have a book. Thank you.

You can try making small scripts or functions that are useful.

From doing them you may realize what you can do with them.

A small idea can turn into a large one.

If need some ideas I could give you a big list....I have way too many ideas.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.