#1 complex05

complex05
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

hello,

I've seen a function before that does this but forgot what it was. Right now whenever I use $data = mysql_fetch_array($query) i do the following after:

$name = $data["name"];
$email = $data["email"];
$phone = $data["phone"];

etc etc etc... isn't there a function that will do all of this for me?

#2 gijew

gijew
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

Are you talking about storing values into an array?  From what it looks like, you're taking the values from an array and storing them inside of a variable.  Are you trying to put them back in an array?
I'm considered good looking in some countries

#3 kenrbnsn

kenrbnsn
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 8,235 posts
  • LocationHillsborough, NJ, USA

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

If you use the function mysql_fetch_assoc() instead, you can then use the extract() function to do that.  Why don't you just use the array references, which makes the code much more self-commenting.

Ken

#4 alpine

alpine
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 756 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

or --> list() --> http://no.php.net/ma...nction.list.php

or another old fashion way
<?php

$col = mysql_fetch_array($select, MYSQL_ASSOC);
foreach($col as $fieldname => $value)
{
${$fieldname} = $value;
}

?>

#5 neoform

neoform
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

If you use the function mysql_fetch_assoc() instead, you can then use the extract() function to do that.  Why don't you just use the array references, which makes the code much more self-commenting.

Ken

I've always wondered how people came to use mysql_fetch_array() instead of mysql_fetch_assoc(), seems like everyone does it..
Newsique.com Social News Network

#6 kenrbnsn

kenrbnsn
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 8,235 posts
  • LocationHillsborough, NJ, USA

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

The mysql_fetch_array() function came first. The myslq_fetch_assoc() function didn't come out until after version 4.0.3

Ken

#7 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:26 PM

i use fetch_array, simply because it's all encompassing. I mean, fetch_assoc returns an associative array.  fetch_row returns a numerical array.  but fetch_array returns both by default.  Or i can specify one or the other if i really want to, with an optional argument.  But i usually don't.  I can simply use fetch_array and just use the numerical or associative version as i see fit.  I feel it is less hassle.  Maybe that's just me. 
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#8 neoform

neoform
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

yeah, but that doubles the amount of ram being used by the array..

i can't imagine that'd be a good rule to go by if you're using any sizable amount of data..  text.. blobs.. ?
Newsique.com Social News Network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users