Duplicate entry '0' for key 'PRIMARY'

rjcfan4ever

This is my error in my registration script: Duplicate entry '0' for key 'PRIMARY'

I did changned in phpmyadmin but he automaticly go's to 11  :shrug:

Here's the code:

<?php include "base.php"; ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">  
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />  
<title>User Management System (Tom Cameron for NetTuts)</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
</head>  
<body>  
<div id="main">
<?php
if(!empty($_POST['username']) && !empty($_POST['password']))
{
$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username']);
    $password = md5(mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']));
    $email = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']);

$checkusername = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE Username = '".$username."'");

if(mysql_num_rows($checkusername) == 1)
     {
     	echo "<h1>Error</h1>";
        echo "<p>Sorry, that username is taken. Please go back and try again.</p>";
     }
     else
     {
     	$registerquery = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (Username, Password, EmailAddress) VALUES('".$username."', '".$password."', '".$email."')") or die(mysql_error());
        if($registerquery)
        {
        	echo "<h1>Success</h1>";
        	echo "<p>Your account was successfully created. Please <a href=\"index2.php\">click here to login</a>.</p>";
        }
        else
        {
     		echo "<h1>Error</h1>";
        	echo "<p>Sorry, your registration failed. Please go back and try again.</p>";    
        }    	
     }
}
else
{
?>

<h1>Register</h1>

<p>Please enter your details below to register.</p>

<form method="post" action="register.php" name="registerform" id="registerform">
<fieldset>
	<label for="username">Username:</label><input type="text" name="username" id="username" /><br />
	<label for="password">Password:</label><input type="password" name="password" id="password" /><br />
        <label for="email">Email Address:</label><input type="text" name="email" id="email" /><br />
	<input type="submit" name="register" id="register" value="Register" />
</fieldset>
</form>

<?php
}
?>
</div>
</body>
</html>

your query should not be inserting a value of 0 for your primary key anyway...this leads me to believe that it is trying to insert invalid data into your primary key...what are your field names for that db table?

i assuming that you also have it set to auto-increment...if so, use this query instead

$registerquery = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users VALUES('', '$username', '$password', '$email')") or die(mysql_error()); //blank field for the ID mysql field

I believe it should be NULL

Make sure your id is set to auto_increment

You're better off with a query like

INSERT INTO `users` ( `username`, `password`, `email` ) VALUES ( '$username', '$password', '$email' )

Still don't work

my code should work if you have the primary key field set to auto-increment.

I believe it should be NULL

Make sure your id is set to auto_increment

You're better off with a query like

INSERT INTO `users` ( `username`, `password`, `email` ) VALUES ( '$username', '$password', '$email' )

same query i wrote, different way...OP, backticks aren't needed since none of your filed names are mysql reserved words but they can be used

<?php include "base.php"; ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">  
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />  
<title>User Management System (Tom Cameron for NetTuts)</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
</head>  
<body>  
<div id="main">
<?php
if(!empty($_POST['username']) && !empty($_POST['password']))
{
$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username']);
    $password = md5(mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']));
    $email = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']);

$checkusername = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE Username = '".$username."'");

if(mysql_num_rows($checkusername) == 1)
     {
     	echo "<h1>Error</h1>";
        echo "<p>Sorry, that username is taken. Please go back and try again.</p>";
     }
     else
     {
     	$registerquery = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users VALUES('', '$username', '$password', '$email')") or die(mysql_error()); //blank field for the ID mysql field
        if($registerquery)
        {
        	echo "<h1>Success</h1>";
        	echo "<p>Your account was successfully created. Please <a href=\"index2.php\">click here to login</a>.</p>";
        }
        else
        {
     		echo "<h1>Error</h1>";
        	echo "<p>Sorry, your registration failed. Please go back and try again.</p>";    
        }    	
     }
}
else
{
?>

<h1>Register</h1>

<p>Please enter your details below to register.</p>

<form method="post" action="register.php" name="registerform" id="registerform">
<fieldset>
	<label for="username">Username:</label><input type="text" name="username" id="username" /><br />
	<label for="password">Password:</label><input type="password" name="password" id="password" /><br />
        <label for="email">Email Address:</label><input type="text" name="email" id="email" /><br />
	<input type="submit" name="register" id="register" value="Register" />
</fieldset>
</form>

<?php
}
?>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Well I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I just set up a database locally with the same structure as yours, and the above code, just copy/pasted, worked fine for me. No errors at all. Are you sure you're selecting the correct database when you call mysql_select_db()? Maybe you have another database with a similarly defined `users` table in it? That's the only thing that pops into my mind at the moment . . .

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.