Selecting Rows Where ID Does Not Exist in Another Table

Applellial

Theory is a useful framework -- a very useful one -- but we need not look to it to solve each and every problem, nor as a pre-requisite to do so.

Formalizing truths is all well and good -- but, in your own words, it's purely a formality, nothing more.  It's a convenient package -- it makes really nice predictions about the future, is useful for comparing different, untestable outcomes, etc..

There is no need to re-discover these "truths" repeatedly -- sure, somehow had to discover them first, and that's great.  But that's already happened.

I don't need to recognize them to use them for practical purposes -- I can just figure it out and get it right anyway.  It doesn't need to "make sense" at all. 

What's more, most theories evolved from heretics whose opponents stoned their because their theories didn't "make sense" -- Copernicus, Gallileo, etc. (stoned or stoning-equivalent) -- so just because it doesn't fit into an existing theory, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

Besides, empirical observations are the basis for every theory that exists (well, maybe not those crazy string theories, but theoretical physicists admit that they're making stuff up all of the time).  That doesn't detract from the resultant theory, with all of its predictive eye-candy, but it also doesn't detract from the original observations, either.

I'm glad you are.

At least you've got half of the whole DBMS history (40 years).

And I think, 50% of those years you had not experienced (yet). So, there is still some doubt. Objectively speaking.

I'm glad you are.

At least you've got half of the whole DBMS history (40 years).

And I think, 50% of those years you had not experienced as a professional(yet). So, there is still some doubt. Objectively speaking.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.