DOCTYPE Messing Up JavaScript

Miles LLC

Ok, I need a doctype for my template to display right, and every doctype messes up my JavaScript code. Whenever I remove the doctype, the JavaScript works, but the template looks messed up. (I'm using Joomla CMS) I've seen other people with the same issue, and they fix there script and it works, but my script seem's to be fine.

var gamercardGenerator = function()

{

window.onload = function() { public.update(); }

var public = { };

public.update = function()

{

var gamertag = document.getElementById('card_gamertag').value;

var styleTheme = document.getElementById('card_style').selectedIndex;

var cardTemplate = document.getElementById('cardTemplate').value;

var hexColor = document.getElementById('card_font_color').value;

var sizeTitle = document.getElementById('card_size_title').value;

var sizeMain = document.getElementById('card_size_main').value;

var fontType = document.getElementById('card_font_type').value;

if(gamertag == "Gamertag") {

gamertag = "example";

}

if(gamertag == "") {

gamertag = "example";

}

if(styleTheme == "") {

styleTheme = "0";

}

if(cardTemplate == "tech" && styleTheme == "0") {

styleTheme = "1";

}

if(cardTemplate == ""){

cardTemplate = "noble";

}

if(fontType == "0" || fontType == "") {

fontType == "utsaah";

}

if(cardTemplate == "noble" || cardTemplate == "unsc" || cardTemplate == "space" || cardTemplate == "bungie" || cardTemplate == "servicebar" || cardTemplate == "glass"){

document.getElementById('card_font_color').value = 'FFFFFF';

}

var cardURL = "http://card.gamercards.co/reach/int/" + styleTheme + "/" + cardTemplate + "/" + hexColor + "/" + sizeTitle + "-" + sizeMain + "/" + fontType + "/" + gamertag + ".png";

document.getElementById('card').src = cardURL;

document.getElementById('card_field').value = cardURL;

}

return public;

}();

function getSource() {

var src = document.getElementById('card_field');

src.style.background = '#808080';

src.style.border = '3px solid #3B3B3B';

src.focus();

src.select();

}

function clickclear(thisfield, defaulttext) {

if (thisfield.value == defaulttext) {

thisfield.value = "";

thisfield.style.color = '#000'

}

}

function clickrecall(thisfield, defaulttext) {

if (thisfield.value == "") {

thisfield.value = defaulttext;

thisfield.style.color = '#ccc'

}

}

I check the source code, saved it as a webpage and troubleshooted all the code. The only way to fix the problem was to remove the DOCTYPE line.

Also, i'm not getting an actual error. It's just not excuting the update function in the Javascript code.

Well my guess is somewhere along the line joomla is altering id attribs or something, but only being executed based on doctype..if its not there, it doesnt do nothin' sort of thing.  And you'd probably have to look at live dom not just viewsource or saved source. 

By itself, i don't really see anything wrong with it.  I'm not sure there's anything we can do more to help without seeing it in action, interacting with the rest of the stuff on the page

@Crayon Violent

First off, i've encountered an error similar to this. It was (like you've said) IDs, but I tested all the id's they're all original. Also, i'm executing these function for every field for example:

<select id="card_style" name="card_style" class="card_style" onchange="gamercardGenerator.update()">

<option selected="selected">--Select Theme--</option>

**** SNIP ****

</select>

Here is a url to it (off of Joomla): http://www.gamercards.co/select/index.php

@teynon

This is very intresting, it seems that function isn't even getting executed..... But the other two functions are getting executed.

Hello Miles,

The first link you provided does not have the joomla stuff.  Nor did you explain how to interact with the page and what it's supposed to be doing.  Also FYI I did see in the source of this link the following:

<b>Warning</b>:  include(./form/db.php) [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>43</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening './form/db.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php-5.2.17/lib/php') in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>43</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>44</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: A link to the server could not be established in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>44</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>46</b><br />

Not sure that's really relevant here, though it probably adversely affects being able to test the page... but regardless, page still isn't all that helpful to QA w/out the joomla stuff on it.

Also, you said it's not spitting out any js errors...what are you looking at to see if there are js errors?  I see the following error:

Error: document.getElementById("card_template") is null

Source File: http://www.gamercards.co/form/scripts.js

Line: 10

You are attempting to look for an element with an id attribute of 'card_template' here:

var cardTemplate = document.getElementById('card_template').value;

However, when I look at the source of the page, I see nothing with that id.  What I do see is the following:

<select name="card_template" class="card_template" onchange="gamercardGenerator.update()">

You need to either add an id attrib there or target it a different way.

I tried to upload the code from your 2nd link and test it, but there were too many errors to wade through to bother.  Too much stuff on the page dependent on other stuff on your site that isn't being loaded for whatever reason.  Maybe required stuff output server-side, relative links, etc... but I did happen to see the same error listed above.

I'm afraid that's about all I can really do unless you can provide a link to a live page on your site, with your code and the joomla stuff on it.

Hello Miles,

The first link you provided does not have the joomla stuff.  Nor did you explain how to interact with the page and what it's supposed to be doing.  Also FYI I did see in the source of this link the following:

<b>Warning</b>:  include(./form/db.php) [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>43</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening './form/db.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php-5.2.17/lib/php') in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>43</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>44</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  mysql_query() [<a href='function.mysql-query'>function.mysql-query</a>]: A link to the server could not be established in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>44</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>:  mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web131/b1318/ipw.gamercardsco/public_html/select/index.php</b> on line <b>46</b><br />

Not sure that's really relevant here, though it probably adversely affects being able to test the page... but regardless, page still isn't all that helpful to QA w/out the joomla stuff on it.

Also, you said it's not spitting out any js errors...what are you looking at to see if there are js errors?  I see the following error:

Error: document.getElementById("card_template") is null

Source File: http://www.gamercards.co/form/scripts.js

Line: 10

You are attempting to look for an element with an id attribute of 'card_template' here:

var cardTemplate = document.getElementById('card_template').value;

However, when I look at the source of the page, I see nothing with that id.  What I do see is the following:

<select name="card_template" class="card_template" onchange="gamercardGenerator.update()">

You need to either add an id attrib there or target it a different way.

I tried to upload the code from your 2nd link and test it, but there were too many errors to wade through to bother.  Too much stuff on the page dependent on other stuff on your site that isn't being loaded for whatever reason.  Maybe required stuff output server-side, relative links, etc... but I did happen to see the same error listed above.

I'm afraid that's about all I can really do unless you can provide a link to a live page on your site, with your code and the joomla stuff on it.

MAN! I LOVE YOU!!!!! You've fixed it. You got to love those basic errors that mess everything up. :)

I would love to donate to you, but I am 16, and i'm poor.

Also, if I may ask, how were you getting those errors being reported and I wasn't? Is there a something I have to enable for those errors?

Also, if I may ask, how were you getting those errors being reported and I wasn't? Is there a something I have to enable for those errors?

He's likely using the Firebug extension for Firefox.  It's invaluable when you're trying to figure out why your JS isn't working.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.