Queries within foreach loop

Mufleeh

Hi all,

I want the count of math teachers for a given zone. A single zone can have several divisions and and a single division can have many schools and a school can have many math teachers. Below is my query and it doesn't work as I expected. Can you please try to fins if I have made any errors?

$selectZone = $_POST['selectZone']; // get the data from the user

$query = $this->dbh->prepare("SELECT division_id FROM view_zone_division_district_province WHERE zone_id='$selectZone'");
				$query->execute();
				$divisions = $query->fetchall();

foreach($divisions as $div)
				{		

$query = $this->dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(nic) FROM teachers_info WHERE (subject_name = 'Mathematics' AND school_id IN(SELECT school_id FROM schools WHERE division_id = $div))");

$query->execute();
				$count = $query->fetchall();	]

echo "<tr>";
				$i = $i + 1;
				echo "<td>$i.</td>
				<td>" .$count."</td>";
				echo "</tr>";

}

Regards,

Mufleeh

from this snippet of code it's hard to say, there are a few things that I see here

1. the use of $this should be used inside of a class definition, if this code is inside of a class, please show the class as well.

2. Please show the custom functions.

3. I would recommend using COUNT(*) rather than COUNT(col) in most cases, much more efficient

Hi,

Thanks for your response, yes its inside a class I'll use $this where its possible. Below is the entire function I am working with. Also I'll change the count(nic) to count(*). If you see any errors in my function please let me know, also please note that the code works well up to foreach($divisions as $div)

function graphMathsTeacherbyDivision()
		{

//echo '<p><b>Select the Zone to Generate the Graph for Mathematics Teacher Distribution:</b></p>';
					//Query for all Zones
					$query = $this->dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM zones");				
					$query->execute();		
					$this->allZones = $query->fetchall();
					$query = NULL;

?>

<!--form inside HTML-->
                            <p><b>Select the Zone to Generate the Graph for Mathematics Teacher Distribution:</b></p>

<form method="post" id="graphMathsTeacherbyDivision" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']?>">

<select name="selectZone">

<?php foreach($this->allZones as $zone)
                            {
                             echo "<option";
                             echo " value='$zone[zone_id]' ";
                             echo ">";
                             echo $zone['zone_id'].": ".$zone['zone_name'];
                             echo "</option>";
                             }?>

</select>

<input type="submit" name='zone_id' value="Generate Graph"/>

</form>

$selectZone = $_POST['selectZone']; // get the data from the user

$query = $this->dbh->prepare("SELECT division_id FROM view_zone_division_district_province WHERE zone_id='$selectZone'");
               $query->execute();
               $divisions = $query->fetchall();

//Below this it seems to be an issue
               [color=red]foreach($divisions as $div)[/color]
               {      

$query = $this->dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(nic) FROM teachers_info WHERE (subject_name = 'Mathematics' AND school_id IN(SELECT school_id FROM schools WHERE division_id = $div))");

$query->execute();
               $count = $query->fetchall();   ]

echo "<tr>";
               $i = $i + 1;
               echo "<td>$i.</td>
               <td>" .$count."</td>";
               echo "</tr>";

}

Hi,

I noted it and I'll do in in future.

Below is the error message I am receiving now!

PDOStatement::errorInfo(): Array ( [0] => 00000 [1] => 7 [2] => ERROR: operator does not exist: character varying = integer LINE 1: ...ELECT census_id FROM view_schools WHERE division_id = 010114 ^ HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts. ) PDOStatement::errorInfo(): Array ( [0] => 00000 [1] => 7 [2] => ERROR: operator does not exist: character varying = integer LINE 1: ...ELECT census_id FROM view_schools WHERE division_id = 010115 ^ HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts. ) PDOStatement::errorInfo(): Array ( [0] => 00000 [1] => 7 [2] => ERROR: operator does not exist: character varying = integer LINE 1: ...ELECT census_id FROM view_schools WHERE division_id = 010116 ^ HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts. ) PDOStatement::errorInfo(): Array ( [0] => 00000 [1] => 7 [2] => ERROR: operator does not exist: character varying = integer LINE 1: ...ELECT census_id FROM view_schools WHERE division_id = 010117 ^ HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts. )

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.