ob_start inside a function

Minklet

I'm trying to tidy up my code by getting to grips with OOP. I know that this isnt really OOP, but I want to put a cache system into a function.

The bit in comments is basically the bit that I want to put into a function. As you can see its fairly rudimentary but basically I dont know how to get what 'include' produces into the output buffer because, of course, its not actually outputting anything. I thought something like fopen() but its all PHP scripts in the include so taht wont work

Anyway, this is what I have:

$cachefile = 'cache/cache_blogphotofeed.html';
$include = 'feeds/blogphoto_feed.php';
$table = 'our_photos';

if (file_exists($cachefile)) {

if (is_outdated($cachefile, $table, $dbc)) {

// This bit
					ob_start();

include($include);

$fp = fopen($cachefile, 'w');

fwrite($fp, ob_get_contents());

fclose($fp); // close the file

ob_end_flush();[/b]

// To this bit

} else {

include($cachefile);
				 }

} else {

ob_start();

include($include);

$fp = fopen($cachefile, 'w');

fwrite($fp, ob_get_contents());

fclose($fp); // close the file

ob_end_flush();

}				

The function is_outdated simply checks if the database table has been modified more recently than the cache file

Any suggestions at all?

Dunno what this has to do with OOP since there is not one bit of object oriented programming in that code. But something like this would be shorter, if you insist to put it inside function. Code is untested but you get the idea. And you can replace the three functions fopen, fwrite and fclose with file_put_contents().

function doCache($include, $cachefile)
{
ob_start();
include_once($include);
file_put_contents($cachefile, ob_get_clean());
}

I guess the include file is the content of the web page. And we wants to cache it if it is not cached and show the content right after. If the file is cached and cache is not expired he will fetch the cached file from the disk, instead of generating it with php. Caching can make page loads even 100x or more faster sometimes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.