www.Oldgamerz.co.uk 30+ Gaming Community

OldG Paul

Hey there,

Firstly thank you for the opportunity to mention my site and to have you all rate it for me..

Our site Oldgamerz has only been running 7 months and has proved very popular, we have a niche site in that we are for gamers aged 30+ and we also have a couple of in house teams that compete against each other.. These are just for fun as we aren't that competitive and maintain a friendly ethos on the site that separates us from the Clans that you younger gamers like to create.

Site URL: http://www.oldgamerz.co.uk/index.php

Please feel free to check us out ang give your reviews and ideas..

Kindest regards,

Paul

... separates us from the Clans that you younger gamers like to create.

You seem to be implying that everyone here is young. :P I think "the" would've been a better choice of word. ;) Although I am a young, somewhat hardcore gamer I don't get into the whole clan business either. Gaming is primarily fun, but I love the competitive nature, as do most people that play games (mostly online).

Now, back on topic.

I really like the design of your website, however the navigation items when not active or hovered are slightly hard to read for me. The navigation items looks amazing, then the dropdown just looks boring. Why not make it slightly bigger and the same background color as the parent item so that it stands out a bit more.

I think the default text of "username" and "password" should be in the login boxes. Sure it's fairly obvious, but having that in there then onfocus removing it, and onblur if the contents is blank then adding it back in makes things a whole lot nicer for the end user.

The user icon that appears next to users in the online list is really quite repetitive. Every user has it. It looks ridiculous. I think doing something similar to Facebook would better suit this spot. You know how when you hover the link that says something like "2 people like this" and it shows the people that like it, something like that. A tooltip. Not to hard to implement but ensure that you're able to then move your mouse down the list and click a person if you need to. You could even make it a double column list. That would remove the ugly scroll bars.

The second search box further down the website seems a bit odd and ugly to me. Is it even really required to be there since you have a search at the top?

That's about all from me. It's good to see another SMF powered website. :)

Good luck with the future of the website.

Just had a quick look:

- Top menu items don't stand out enough

- Have never understood why a website would have the current date and time printed on them - seems unecessary to me :)

- Could combine your JS files into a single file to reduce HTTP request - do the same for the CSS files

- Top search needs a button - not everyone would know you can press enter. alternatively, make it search automatically when a term has been typed into it

- Never been a huge fan of square full page backgrounds like that - makes the site look odd to me. Fading out the edges of the background looks better imo.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.