hashing

manix

Hey,

Does it make it harder for someone to bruteforce a string which is hashed multiple times?

For an example I have the string 'John' and I do md5(md5($john)) would that be the same as md5($john)

Or maybe if I do md5(sha1(md5($john))) ?

And also is it able to tell the hashing, which would make this whole post pointless ?

Hashing the password prevents someone from from seeing the password if they managed to access the database.

I dont think it is possible to completely stop a brute force attempt, but you can slow them down with a CAPTCHA:

1 The user starts a session when 1st accessing the homepage.

2 Count the number of log in attempts into a session variable or cookie

3 When the count reaches a certain value, tell the user they must now complete a CATPCHA to continue... or anything similar.

Nah I have a cookie containing a hashed username (if the user chose to stay logged in forever) but if a user can tell what hashing I used and then hash the admin username the same way I hashed the cookie will be able to log in with the admin account

example:

database username: philip

cookie's value: sha1(md5(sha1($username)))

then check

if (sha1(md5(sha1($databaseusername)))==$_COOKIE['username']){add user panel etc etc}

my point is that a user can see the cookie's value and bruteforce it without using the website at all if they can tell the hashing

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.