Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abrogard

[solved] I need mbstring.dll

On my WinXP system running IIS and PHP and PHPAdmin and Mysql:

I get a warning '...unable to load dynamic library php_mbstring.dll...'

I find it with 'Search' and it shows it as being in the directory 'ext' - which apparently isn't a directory at all but signifies an 'application extension'.

How do I help php out and give it access to this library?

regards,

ab :)

Put php_mbstring.dll in the folder you specified in extension_dir in php.ini.

Ah... I would if I could...

I didn't make it clear - the directory 'ext' not being a real directory I can't actually find the file. I don't know where it is. I don't know what it means that it is - that 'ext' is - 'an application extension'.

Where do I find 'an application extension' ? How do I open it to get a .dll out?

I should have said it that way the first time round.

regards,

dh

and, p.s., I didn't specify anything in php.ini and the default seems to be '.\' or something.

ext would be a subdirectory called ext in the PHP folder. So if you have PHP installed in C:\PHP then ext would be C:\PHP\ext

No it wouldn't be. That's the whole point. It is not a real directory. It can't be found.

But I've found it.  When I searched for 'ext' instead of searching for 'mbstring' I got a better clue - 'search' told me it was inside a .zip file. 

Actually a corrupt zip file that is supposed to be php516winzip but I can't use because it always reports 'unexpected end of file' when I try to install from it. That's how come the installation I've got doesn't include the ext directory.

But, surprisingly enough, I was able to extract the 'ext' directory from it.  Winzip did that for me without any problem.

Then I put the mbstring.dll into php root dir and now everything's fine.  :)

Thanks for your input and have a good day... 

regards,

ab :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.