Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnsiilver

How to access environmental variables from commandline php

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a webbased php script that exec()'s some php commandline scripts.  These scripts log onto various machines and do work, and I would like to avoid passing the password on the commandline, which could be seen by someone doing a 'ps -ef'.  I've been trying to set an $_env[], $_session[], or a $global[] variable and have it read by the commandline script, but no luck.

Anyone know how to do this?  Thanks!

In Apache you can use, the [b]SetEnv[/b] directive, other servers also support it, but in different ways. You can also set it via htaccess, so as to restrict who can access that environment variable! You can't set a $_ENV['var'] in PHP and expect it to be available from other scripts, it doesn't work that way. PHP can only write to the $_ENV array in it's local context, only the server has global scope! Unless you use the prepend file option within PHP, via htaccess, per directory option!

me!

[quote]I've been trying to set an $_env[], $_session[], or a $global[] variable and have it read by the commandline script, but no luck.[/quote]

Maybe because they are $_ENV[], $_SESSION[] and $GLOBALS[] respectfully.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.