frameworks, code conventions, waste of bloody time?

egghead

Why did it just take me 10 hours straight procedural what took 3 weeks in zend!

Is it becaue i'm a noob at Zend, or will it always take longer to develop with zend!

... i can't believe how much time i wasted trying to fit this thing onto a framework... is it me or is the frameworks? Or is because when i work in Zend i feel like i have to keep to proper coding?

I feel like developing procedural like a slob, no conventions, and then 'fitting' it over Zend and working backwards making pretty so at least i have a bloody working T$^#@*( application and a happy client.. he doesn't know better at this stage anyhow.

What do you think? I was always known as the -fastest- develop in town, now i know why! I just crap the thing out from beginning to end with logic over style.

There is always a learning curve. ;)

It took me many more hours to first put an application into a framework when I first started, but even now a few months after I'm able to churn out applications pretty quick. Just hang in there and keep tinkering with it.

Coding with frameworks are always slow in the beginning.  They really start to shine after you have something built up and then want to add more later, or when other people want to come in and figure out what's going on and add/change stuff.  It is definitely an investment and a lot of people who do ad hoc / random small projects tend to skip using a framework either because of lack of time or lack of seeing the point (and it is indeed hard to argue a point to doing it for random ad hoc small projects)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.