When should I make my website compatible with the virus browser

Clarkeez

Hey..

I am more of a developer than a designer but I have a website that works fine in chrome/FF but it ruined in IE..

Now, do I finish the site in chrome/FF then make it work with IE with seperate or is best practice to make it work with all browsers as I go along... ?

Thanks

A very large percentage of people use IE still, sadly.  IE should be what you target first, the others should be the cleanup.  I'd go back and fix your site in IE right now, and work on making it cross-browser compatible from now on.

-Dan

The other thing to consider is your target audience. What do you know about them? There age? The possibly that they'll be using a modern browser? Is your website aimed at companies who probably still run XP with IE? You need to take a broad look at your audience and consider how important it is for your website to be 100% in IE.

Personally, I always ensure that my website degrades somewhat gracefully in IE so it at least doesn't look like someone took a dump on the screen. :)

I don't get how you could possibly still have troubles to make your website cross-browser compatible?

I use a Browser class to detect the user's browser and add style rules accordingly.

<body class="<?php print $this->browser->getCSSClassName(); ?>">

In your CSS you just add:

.ie7 element { style }
.ie8 element { style }
/* etc */

cross-browser compatible every time :) Note though that I'm mainly a PHP developer, and every HTML/CSS developer out there will skin me alive if they ever find out where I live ;)

Vlaams belgie?

Het Nederlandstalige deel van de web designers is schijnbaar groot, internationaal gezien?  :D

[Eng.: Seemingly, the Dutch-speaking web designers form a great part of the international community?]

VOC mentality  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.