Here is a challenge...maybe

fry2010

My in-experience in using join statements has come-a-cropper for me, and Im not even sure if that is what is required here.

Here is the situation:

I have two tables.

Table two has a column with a foreign key to table one.

I want to select certain column data from table one, but at the same time count(*) how many rows in table two are linked to table one.

I know this can be done easy using two statments seperatly, but I imagine there is a solution using just one query.

Here are the two table examples:

create table table_one (
id int unsigned not null AUTO_INCREMENT,
name char(60) not null DEFAULT '',
status tinyint(1) unsigned not null DEFAULT 0,
PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

create table table_two (
id int unsigned not null AUTO_INCREMENT,
table_one_id int unsigned not null,
PRIMARY KEY (id),
FOREIGN KEY table_one_id REFERENCES table_one(id) ON DELETE CASCADE
);

Here are the two queries I wish to combine:

$sql1 = "SELECT id, name FROM table_one";
$stmt = $conn->query($sql1);

// Cycle through result
while($fetch = $stmt->fetchObject())
{
   $table_one_id = $fetch->id;
   $name = $fetch->name;

$sql2 = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table_two, table_one WHERE table_two.table_one_id = table_one.id";
}

This would give a result like:

Table One Id

Table One Name

Table Two Row Counts Linked

'this is first record in table one'

'this is second record in table one'

'this is third record in table one'

'this is fourth record in table one'

Collages and Universities can help. There is also a huge amount of reasource online.  I would suggest getting a good book or two on SQL and database design if you want to make a serious go of it though, but don't have the luxuary of taking classes.  It may seem costly to fork out £60 - £80 in literature, but it all depends on how much value you put on the time it will save you.

Although TBH, some of the better members on here (of which I assure you, I am not one) could make a killing holding webinars once a month.

thanks, I think I will invest in a book. Served me well before when I got one on php and css.

Try a book by Chris Date, titled Introduction to Database Systems (8e). It has been around for 30 years already (eight editions in all). So you are assured that a wide range of topics and problems are covered by that book when it comes to DBMS. As a bonus, the book has a chapter devoted to the discussion of "object-oriented programming" and how it translates to the relational model.

Collages and Universities can help.

Doubtful.

I doubt that doubt. :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.