PHP Dice Roll Function Help

Evermore

I am not a very good PHP programmer, and I got a project to "work" on.

I need help writing a Dice Roll Function. This is how I'm supposed to do the two functions:

New Function: dice_roll (int sides)

- $ returns a random number of how many sided the dice is, between 1 and the $.

New Function: dice_roll_str (string dicestr)

- A string describing the dice [0-9] + d [0-9 ]+[+-][ 0-9] + size (d <number_of_dices> <number_of_sides> [+-][modifying_value])

- For example if I call the function with "3d6-3", this means: we throw 3 times with a 6-sided dice, add it up, then subtract 3-t.

- The function is to return a false value on error

- Possible errors:

- Minimum number of of sides of the dice is 2 the maximum is 24

- A minimum number of dices 1 the maximum is 8

- The result should always be a positive number, which is not greater than twice of the result we got.

I've already done the first function. This is my code:

function dice_roll($sides_num) {
    $rand_num = rand(1, $sides_num);
    return $rand_num;
}

I'm not sure it correct.

It is the second function that I don't know how to do. Please, if you can help I'd be really grateful. If you can please put explanations on how the code works.  :confused:

Thank you so much,

Evermore

OK, firstly - the plural of dice is die  :D

Secondly - this looks more suited to the freelance section, as you are effectivly asking somone to write a self contained pice of code for you, not fix a problem with some existing code of your own. 

However, could you clear up the formaula:

"- A string describing the dice [0-9] + d [0-9 ]+[+-][ 0-9] + size (d <number_of_dices> <number_of_sides> [+-][modifying_value])"

as to what d is refferencing and what dictates the <number_of_die> and <modifying_value>?

And also what do you meen by

" - The result should always be a positive number, which is not greater than twice of the result we got."

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.