Extract large data

Network_ninja

hi everyone... What would I do or what will be the best approach if I have to extract a large data in a table.... Let's say that the query will extract 1 million records.. What will be the best way to extract it without affecting the performance of other systems... Let's just say that my table has a proper index...

Tnx in advance....

Your question is too vague to provide much of an answer.  1 million rows is going to be a lot of data, and it will take a while.  Having an index or not is probably irrelevant unless this is a table with multi-millions of rows.  You need to provide more information about what you mean by extract, and what you will be doing with all that data.

Ok... Lets make the numbers small... Lets assume that this would be my query

SELECT fld1,fld2,fld3,fld4,fld5 FROM tablename WHERE datein < CURDATE()

And will also assume that the query will return 30,000 rows... This will surely take a while rigth? I am looking if it will be possible in your code or mysql query that will pause a query and continue after 2 seconds....

I have put 100k+ rows into a javascript array, so what is wrong with displaying 30k rows... If your table is optimized it should run fast. My page takes longer to render the page than it does to select the rows. We then use the javascript to search the items in the array, which searches even faster the the mysql database.

The only problem we have is that our template system doesn't work well with it because the template system is very shitty.

my members complained because they couldn't see their down-line, and their is a range from 1-100k members in someones down-line and they all complained because they couldn't see everyone in it. So we gave them the ability boom! 100k rows! you can then use javascript to filter what your looking for almost instantly by searching for either "member name" or by "member id number"!

my members complained because they couldn't see their down-line, and their is a range from 1-100k members in someones down-line and they all complained because they couldn't see everyone in it. So we gave them the ability boom! 100k rows! you can then use javascript to filter what your looking for almost instantly by searching for either "member name" or by "member id number"!

This sounds like it would perfectly suite an ajax solution, something like what Facebook and Twitter do where as you forreach near the end of the page more data is dynamically fetched. Getting everything up front seems a massive waste of resources.

There really isn't. The good news is, the page doesn't get accessed much, and most members don't have that many people in their down-line. The page that returns 100k results only runs 20 queries and each one takes less than a second to return results. It builds the data in about 7 seconds, and then takes the browser 30ish seconds to download the data and render it. My code builds a 17MB javascript file for that member.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.