Paypal and Clients

hazz995

Okay so a client wants PayPal integrated into their website, such as a buy button etc..etc...

Easily done.

But what's stumping me is how do you handle the PayPal details? Because as far as I know you access to the business PayPal account you're setting up products form. So the client will have to give me access to their PayPal so that I can add buttons etc to their site?

What happens if they don't have a business PayPal account, do I just set one up in their stead?

I know there's a few questions but I just started looking into PayPal for my clients and I find it hard accepting the fact that I have access to someone else's PayPal just to add buttons and stuff.

Is this really necessary or are there other ways of doing it? Either way I would like to hear how other people deal with PayPal and their clients.

If a client wants paypal integration then there are more than just buy now buttons that you can offer. In fact this is probably the worst kind of integration that you can offer for most dynamic websites as you usually will want to update your own database when a payment is made or rejected or whatever.

For a simple buy now button all you need is to ask the client to generate the HTML themsleves and email it to you if they do not want to give you access to their account. You can talk them through it. It takes all of 2 minutes.

For a proper solution, you do not need any customer details. Use the Paypal sandbox to test your implementation of Direct Pay, Express Checkout, or IPN integrations. As a developer you should have a Paypal sandbox account setup. If not, get one setup. Once you have the integration sorted you just need your client to give you the API username / password / key (not the same as the login details to Paypal) details for their account and add it to your code instead of the test details.

For a proper integration customers should have a Paypal business account. If it is a small little home project HTML website selling cookies & cupcakes then a business account is not needed and a simple buy now button would suffice.

You should not be setting up Paypal accounts for clients. It is their responsibility to read the documentation and familiarise themselves with Paypal if they are going to be using it for transactions from their business. You wouldn't have your friend open a bank account for you, would you? You can offer help on how to go about setting up the type of account they need, but never do it for them.

If a client wants paypal integration then there are more than just buy now buttons that you can offer. In fact this is probably the worst kind of integration that you can offer for most dynamic websites as you usually will want to update your own database when a payment is made or rejected or whatever.

For a simple buy now button all you need is to ask the client to generate the HTML themsleves and email it to you if they do not want to give you access to their account. You can talk them through it. It takes all of 2 minutes.

For a proper solution, you do not need any customer details. Use the Paypal sandbox to test your implementation of Direct Pay, Express Checkout, or IPN integrations. As a developer you should have a Paypal sandbox account setup. If not, get one setup. Once you have the integration sorted you just need your client to give you the API username / password / key (not the same as the login details to Paypal) details for their account and add it to your code instead of the test details.

For a proper integration customers should have a Paypal business account. If it is a small little home project HTML website selling cookies & cupcakes then a business account is not needed and a simple buy now button would suffice.

You should not be setting up Paypal accounts for clients. It is their responsibility to read the documentation and familiarise themselves with Paypal if they are going to be using it for transactions from their business. You wouldn't have your friend open a bank account for you, would you? You can offer help on how to go about setting up the type of account they need, but never do it for them.

Thank you, I was actually just looking into the PayPal sandbox feature the other day an I'm glad you brought it up since I'm now confident I can continue looking into it.

Your overall post has been really helpful and I now have a better understanding on how to deal with PayPal with my clients.

Thanks again :).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.