web server recommendations

AyKay47

That's a very broad question. I'm guessing you mean the server hardware, not the actual web server software? Also are you talking about purchasing an actual server, or shared/dedicated/virtual servers? What are your requirements? Do you prefer Windows or Linux?

Agreed with Adam. 

That being said, I used to be a developer at SoftLayer.  Despite their recent decrease in quality due to their merger with The Planet and their previous questionable activities regarding the wikileaks fiasco, they're still the best on the market for dedicated unmanaged servers.

-Dan

That's a very broad question. I'm guessing you mean the server hardware, not the actual web server software? Also are you talking about purchasing an actual server, or shared/dedicated/virtual servers? What are your requirements? Do you prefer Windows or Linux?

im sorry yeah you're right.. that question didn't quite come out right... trying to work and multitask doesn't always work out for me.. heh

What i meant was im researching web server hosting companies, will need to be a unix server with "unlimited" diskspace and data transfer.. now I know the fine print so its not actually unlimited.. however just wanted to get your guys thoughts on web server hosts.. also for the moment it will be a shared server

Never ever go near a company that promises unlimited anything.

i completely agree, however it seems that everyone company that i have looked at does this.. I can't seem to find someone to give me straight numbers.. and a way to increase those numbers..

Then you've been looking at the wrong places.

SoftLayer: 3tb included with all servers, $100/mo/tb thereafter

Rackspace:  2tb included with all servers, unknown upgrade price

Go to either of those sites and click on their live chat options.

-Dan

Then you've been looking at the wrong places.

SoftLayer: 3tb included with all servers, $100/mo/tb thereafter

Rackspace:  2tb included with all servers, unknown upgrade price

Go to either of those sites and click on their live chat options.

-Dan

and these are shared server we are talking about correct? i don't need a dedicated server at the moment

SoftLayer offers cloud servers, but not shared servers.  Rackspace offers all kinds of weird things including shared clouds and stuff.

-Dan

looked into it a bit further.. I think what I need right now is a VPS.. thank you for your input guys..