ftp sftp

Pleease could somebody help, i'm pulling my hair out here.

I'm trying to set up my new ubuntu 11.04 server to allow ftp.

I've been trying to set up the vsftpd program but with little success as I can't find many good instruction manuals.

I spoke to one person today who said there isn't really any difference between ftp and sftp, which means if you use sftp you don't need to install and configure vsftpd at all.

Could anyone please recommend an sftp program that I could use, my local machine is windows.

(things were not working correctly for the vsftpd so i un-installed the the program with apt-get remove, then removed the vsftpd.conf file that it left behind. Only thing is I later decided to give it another go, but after installing it didn't create the vsftpd.conf file??? )

I thought filezilla could connect through sftp

Are there any settings to change in the sshd_config file? When i try to connect with filezilla through the ssh port number i set in the sshd_config file it fails to connect on any of the users i have given with root priviledges (i have denied root access)

This is the error i get in filezilla when trying to connect through the ssh port:

Error:      Cannot establish FTP connection to an SFTP server. Please select proper protocol.

Error: Critical error

Error: Could not connect to server

::) ::)::)

I was using the quick connect. I never knew there was a section where one could select to connect via ftp or sftp.

For anyone stumbling upon this later who may just be used to using the 'quick connect'

Connect to sftp with by clicking creating a 'new site' in the site manager. Access to which is via a little button just above where it says host

I can now connect to the server with filezilla through sftp which means i don't need vsftpd.

However i think i now need to set the user permissions to allow me to upload files to the /var/www/

Or do is it better to create a new user with specific persmissions for the /var/www/?

Or is this something not specific to the user but the files themselves?

For anyone stumbling upon this later:

To add files and directories to the www dir or any other for that matter you need to set the privileges correctly.

The way i decided to do it is, create a new group (wwwAccess)

Add the users of the server i wanted to allow access to the www to this group.

Bob's your uncle fannies your aunt, all users in the group can now add and edit and delete files within the www

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.