Hosting account creation

Andy-H

Just wondering if anyone knew of any reading material regarding hosting account creation (shared space/subdomain creation etc) like a cpanel but without using any API's, I want to create one from scratch, just curious as to weather I can do it, and maybe make it open source if it turns out any good. Thanks

Account creation is pretty simple in any unix environment.  It'll be all the configuring of services to read per-user configs that will eat up your time as most services while they support it tend not to enable or have it compiled in by default.  Also you'll need to create some management scripts to handle restarts/rehashing of service configs, throttling number of reashes/restarts.  And many more things I can think of, its really just a huge exercise of unix administration and scripting.

Some open-source panels for reference:

Webmin

ISPConfig

VHCS

GNUPanel

There is also ticketing and billing to flush out aswell.  There are a couple good FOSS ticketing solutions but the only good billing solutions are commercial.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.