Order of mod_rewrite

danbopes

OK, I have a situation, where I want to use mod_rewrite in three places to finally end up at the url I want.

Sample URL:

demo1.example.com/home/index

In my Document Root I have:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}                                ^(?:www\.)?[^./]+\.[^./]+\.[^./]+$
RewriteCond   "%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}"                !^(?:www\.)?([^./]+)\.[^./]+\.[^./]+/?\1/
RewriteRule   ^(.*)                                       %{HTTP_HOST}/$1  [C,DPI]
RewriteRule   ^(?:www\.)?([^./]+)\.[^./]+\.[^./]+/(.*)$   /$1/$2

In my demo1 folder I have:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /dev/$1

In my dev folder I have (Code Igniter's rewrite):

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond $1 !^(index\.php|images|user_guide|assets|robots\.txt)
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L]

So the end result is that it demo1.example.com/home/index should goto /dev/index.php/home/index.

This semi works, but here is where the problem comes in. If the folder "home" exists, and there is a .htaccess file in there, it will process it before the parent (Which says go into the demo1 folder), and it ends up giving a 404. Is there a way I can fix this? I've tried adding the initial Document Root into the httpd.conf file, as well as in the <Directory></Directory> tags, and I ended up getting no rewrite, and same issue respectively when I did that.

How can I fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like you need a few [L]s in there. Know that it does not stop URL rewriting entirely - just the current pass. The rewritten URL goes back through the request handling process, and that may trigger mod_rewrite again. Without an [L] flag, the rewritten URL is tracked and other rules that were going to be processed still will be; if you're changing the paths as much as you are that may cause some rules to rewrite incorrectly.

/.htaccess, handles subdomains

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(?:www\.)?[^./]+\.[^./]+\.[^./]+$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} !^(?:www\.)?([^./]+)\.[^./]+\.[^./]+/\1/
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%1 -d
RewriteRule ^ %1%{REQUEST_URI} [DPI,L]

(You can use %N to refer to something caught in a RewriteCond)

/demo1/.htaccess, rewrites everything to /dev

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule .* /dev/$0 [L]

If that still doesn't work, add some [R]s and see where mod_rewrite is trying to go.

I need it to chain, the problem is the order of how it rewrites stuff.

For example: demo1.example.com/home/index

First rewrite (In root) should say, hey, you need to goto /demo1/home/index

Second rewrite (In /demo1) should say, hey, you need to goto /dev/home/index

Third rewrite(In /dev) should say, hey, you need to goto /dev/index.php?/home/index

Problem is this, if the folder home exists, with a .htaccess file in it, the order then becomes:

First rewrite (In /home): /home/index.php?/home/index

Second rewrite (In root): /demo1/home/index.php?/home/index

Third rewrite (In /demo1): /dev/home/index.php?/home/index

It should go like the first one, and rewrite it to the demo1 folder, before trying to look in the home folder to begin with. That's the only rule I need to have go before the others, and putting it in the server config did not do anything. Please help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.