mysqldumper

freelance84

Hmm... Well, its a little overkill really.

It is easier to just write a simple mysqldump script and set cron onto it.

If I ever am unfortunate enough to have my database compromised, i will take said site down while restoring the database anyway. I thought it would be an easy to use off the shelf automated thing... it is automated by the GUI leaves much to the imagination, and to be honest as it is easier to write the scripts yourself... I can't see the point.

(this is just my opinion however)

Why don't you just use mysqldump? That was the first question that came to mind when I started looking at that software, until I saw:

It is especially suited for shared hosting webspaces, where you don't have shell access.

It's just aimed at the average Joe wanting to back-up his database on a shared server.

Na, you mentioned that the first question that popped into your mind was 'why not just mysqldump'... i was agreeing with that.

I found it easier to write a php script with mysqldump, however i'm currently having difficulties getting the script to talk to the database at the mo: thread

It was the idea that i could just download one package that could split & compress large database files to back up and rotate all in one that attracted me to it. Thought it could be a little god send like phpMailer, and in all fairness it could well be, however it really didn't feel intuitive to use, and with a million other things on the go, i didn't have the time to sit and figure it all out.

Anyway, cron database backups was new today... but i'm getting to grips with them now.

Cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.