json_decode

hackalive

I find that somewhat hard to believe.  One, because they would have to specifically disable json for it to not be available, and two because it is actually quite commonly used so if they were really trying to target the average user, they would have it.

If your host doesn't support it, pick any other random host with php 5.3, they will almost surely have it.  Or get a VPS where you can control what you do and don't have yourself.

If your host doesn't support it, pick any other random host with php 5.3, they will almost surely have it.

JSON extension has been around since PHP 5.2. Also, it is included in the default PHP bundle so the host would have to compile their own source and explicitly not include it. I see no reason why this would be the case, so I say your host just sucks.

All that's needed is to add it to the disable_functions = directive in the php.ini file, so it's plausible that the host has it disabled. I find it very difficult to believe that disabling json_encode/decode is as widespread as the OP makes it seem, though.

All that's needed is to add it to the disable_functions = directive in the php.ini file, so it's plausible that the host has it disabled. I find it very difficult to believe that disabling json_encode/decode is as widespread as the OP makes it seem, though.

But then why would they say it "can't be added"?

I don't know why they would say that, other than to prevent a flood of "well, you enable this function, so why can't you enable that function?" type of requests.

Which also points to sucky host in my opinion.

Most respectable hosts will have no problem adjusting some things or installing some extra modules for you if you ask nicely.

Which also points to sucky host in my opinion.

Bingo.  If your current host won't even let you use a harmless function like json_decode(), then it is time to find another host.

Where you get the impression that "most" hosts do not have, or do not allow, the JSON functions is beyond me. No host in their right mind would be without it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.