PHP and command line tools

spec36

I am trying to execute a command line tool, but am having a problem adding a variable to the line.

Here is the code

$filename = "devices.txt";
$handle = fopen($filename, 'r');

while (!feof($handle))
{
$devices = fgets($handle, 4096);
$query = 'ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.1 -U admin -P adminpass sdr list';
passthru($query);
}
flcose($handle);

On this line I don't want to have the IP manually added like so.

$query = 'ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.1 -U admin -P adminpass sdr list';

Instead I want to be able to insert the $devices variable which contains the values from the text file so it would look something like this:

$query = 'ipmitool -I lanplus -H $devices -U admin -P adminpass sdr list';

Problem is the command line tool does not run this way. How do I properly add the $devices variable so the command line tool ipmitool will run with its value?

Thanks,

I tried to concatenate the string with what you suggested, but it still does not insert the device name from the text file.

Example: Putting this code in and concatenating

$query = 'ipmitool -I lanplus -H '.$devices.' -U admin -P adminpass sdr list';

If I echo the value of $query below it outputs this using the above structure on the command.

ipmitool -I lanplus -H -U admin -P adminpass sdr list

Notice the variable should have inserted the value next to the -H, but instead it is just missing from the command?

Also, if I echo the output of $devices I do see the proper names listed. So I know the problem is not with reading the file or with the loop, but something with the way the command is being sent to the shell I guess.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I now have the device name inserting properly into the command, but the command will not run on the server.

When I run this code:

$lines = file ("/path/to/myfile/devices.txt");

foreach ($lines as $line)
{
$ipmi_query = 'ipmitool -I lanplus -H ' . $line . '-U username -P password sdr list';
passthru($ipmi_query);
}

I get an error that says:

sh: line 1: -U: command not found

Now I know -U is a valid parameter for the ipmitool. When I echo the command ($impi_query) to the screen it shows like this:

ipmitool -I lanplus -H device01-name
-U username -P password sdr list

Notice the line break in the command. I believe this is why the output is saying that "-U command not found".

Does anyone know how I can keep that command so it runs on the server as one line instead of two? I don't know why the command is being broken into two line.

Thanks for the help,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.