Too much money?

jca

Hey all,

I'm looking to get some estimates as to the absolute maximum that a job with the following specs would run. In short, I'm asking whether or not the following job is worth $500, which was one estimate I received or if the attributes are easy enough for me to learn on my own in a reasonable amount of time.

Specs:

Wordpress-based blog.

User registration, email list, and ability to create basic profiles.

Filtering of blog content based on tags and zip codes.

Polls.

Multiple-authors.

I have some experience in coding, but this would be my first involved design. Should I attempt it on my own spend $500?

Installing WordPress isn't all *that* hard if you know what you're doing, and everything you listed I believe is already built-into it or has extensions for it, even multiple authors/blogs (WP used to have a separate multi-author/blog system at mu.wordpress.org but they have since combined it all into one system).  It does take a bit more skill to customize it in the way of looks though..if you're looking to do a fully custom implementation.  There are a ton of out-of-the-box skins/themes available for free or cheap if you're willing to settle for that though. 

But is it worth paying someone else $500 for?  I know a lot of people who offer WP installs/customizations as part of their services (I know some people who ONLY offer that as a service) and they generally charge $300-$500 to do it, depending on how much customization you want.  But I've also seen a lot of people charge a hell of a lot more...usually larger companies will charge more because they deal with larger clients. 

IMO it is worth the price if you don't want to take the time to learn it and do it yourself.  Again,  it's not terribly hard to do it if you know what you're doing, but it could quickly become really frustrating if other things prevent you from having a smooth install, like having to tweak/fix other server settings that are otherwise preventing it from going smoothly.  But if you are interested in learning web dev stuff then it would probably be better for you to do it yourself; it's as good as any other place to get your feet wet. 

If you do opt to pay for someone to do it, I would find out if they are offer any kind of training to walk you through the interface, see where/how to do the stuff you want, etc... this may or may not be included in that price, and if you don't opt for that service, you may find yourself spending a fair chunk of time sorting that out, as well.

I agree with .josh

If you are planning on running a wordpress site, it might be best to learn a bit about it anyway.

The install isn't that hard, it might be worth it for you to at least try and do yourself.

http://wordpress.org/

There is a wealth of already made and free templates/plugins for wordpress out there.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

Most plugins are easy one click installs, while some take editing a theme, and usually show you how.

Thank you all for the responses. I've decided to take some initiative and do the thing myself, slowly to be sure. I've since received some estimates for less, but I would like to know how to do it on my own. So, I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me on this site.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.