PHP or Jquery or should I use something else????

Tech boy

Hi

I am in the process of teaching myself web development, coming from a vb and mssql background.

I am building a small page that will display my film library, I just want something quick and simple that gets things working.  I have three img tags on my page that display the film posters.  The current film and the one previous and next.

What I would like is a left and a right arrow that just scroll through the library.

I am thinking I need to read the sub folder of D:\movies and story the full path name into an array, and then when the user presses a arrow it moves forward or back.

Everything is local and I am unsure about how to handle the event of the left/arrow being pressed.  Does PHP handle that kind of event or would Jquery be more suitable or something else completely??

thanks for any pointers.

Hi

I am in the process of teaching myself web development, coming from a vb and mssql background.

I am building a small page that will display my film library, I just want something quick and simple that gets things working.  I have three img tags on my page that display the film posters.  The current film and the one previous and next.

What I would like is a left and a right arrow that just scroll through the library.

I am thinking I need to read the sub folder of D:\movies and story the full path name into an array, and then when the user presses a arrow it moves forward or back.

Everything is local and I am unsure about how to handle the event of the left/arrow being pressed.  Does PHP handle that kind of event or would Jquery be more suitable or something else completely??

thanks for any pointers.

a combination of both really, learning a new language should not be rushed, as this will lead to common errors that can be avoided, if you are serious about wanting to get into web development, take your time, learn the material the correct way, and then proceed with your script.

When you say bad code in dreamweaver could you please expand how do I right code code for Jquery??

so a little meat on the bones.

Use php to search for my jpegs, and add the full path to an array in PHP.

when the user clicks either arrow a jquery runs that will move the forward or back through the array.

How does the image itself get updated?

I feel that I am missing a step.

thanks

could you please expand how do I right code code for Jquery??

You learn JavaScript and then you learn about the extra functionality that jQuery provides. In fact, jQuery is so simple that allot of people skip learning JavaScript all together. Though I wouldn't recommend that approach in the long run, jQuery is pretty darn easy to get started with.

See http://docs.jquery.com/Main_Page

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.