query issue

dd_gamer

I'm hoping someone can help with my problem... The query (below) runs on my Localhost (laptop) but when I upload to the "live" server it can't finish without an error. The server has many many more records in it so I my code needs to be streamlined or improved...

If anyone can show an example of a better way to do this query please help! I'm new to Mysql...

Here is the query:

SELECT DISTINCT CAST(studentrecord_daily.record_date as Date) AS academic_date, 
studentrecord_daily.student_id, 
CAST(schedule_room.scheduledate as Date) AS schedule_date, 
rc.rc_period_id, 
rc.start_date, 
rc.end_date, 
schedules.id, 
schedules.gf, 
schedules.schedule_desc, 
schedule_room.scheduleid 

FROM 
schedule_room, 
studentrecord_daily, 
rc, 
schedules 

WHERE studentrecord_daily.student_id = '3' AND 
rc.rc_period_id = '27' AND
studentrecord_daily.record_date >= rc.start_date AND 
studentrecord_daily.record_date <= rc.end_date AND
CAST(studentrecord_daily.record_date as Date) = CAST(schedule_room.scheduledate as Date) AND
schedules.id =schedule_room.scheduleid

The error is a standard Server 500 error and the page keeps processing until "timeout"!

Not sure how to run query in phpMyAdmin...

click the SQL button on the top nav of the interface, and paste your query in it.. this may not be a query issue, what other code do you have on the page in question?

Thanks! I did what you said and used phpmyAdmin... the query took too long... before timeout so I increased the time limit and it took 90 seconds to run but it did run on my Local machine! The "live" server has many more records for the query to search so I'm wondering what are my options are because it will time out!

Thanks! I did what you said and used phpmyAdmin... the query took too long... before timeout so I increased the time limit and it took 90 seconds to run but it did run on my Local machine! The "live" server has many more records for the query to search so I'm wondering what are my options are because it will time out!

if you have a large result set, my assumption would be that the query is taking so long because it has to cast two fields every iteration, why no set scheduledate and record_date to the DATE format in your db table, which is a good practice anyway, that will eliminate the need to cast them entirely.

The dates are in the database as follows:

1) studentrecord_daily.record_date = 2011-10-07 11:06:04 

2) rc.start_date, rc.end_date,  = 2009-09-07 00:00:00

3) scheduledate = 2000-11-14 00:00:00

You can see that #1 has a time logged... I'm not sure what you are saying!

Fyi,

I didn't understand your comment :

why no set scheduledate and record_date to the DATE format in your db table, which is a good practice anyway, that will eliminate the need to cast them entirely.

All dates in all tables are Type: varchar(255). I didn't create the database just making the report. I need to compare the dates and I used CAST so the time won't create a problem when compared.

I hope this helps explain why I'm using CAST.

There are inefficiencies in that query.

1. Why are you using CAST() on the date value in the select value? All values returned from a MySQL query are treated as text anyway. It's only useful to cast input values to insert into certain data type fields or to compare values that are of different types

2. Why are you using CAST() on the date field in the WHERE caluse. Are they of different types? If not, don't use CAST().

3. Not sure, but putting all your tables as a list and then trying to do the JOINs in the WHERE clauses might be problematic too.

Here is an attempt at revising your query, but I really have no way of knowing if it will work

SELECT sr.scheduleid, CAST(sr.scheduledate as Date) AS schedule_date,
       s.id, s.gf, s.schedule_desc,
       DISTINCT srd.record_date AS academic_date, srd.student_id, 
       rc.rc_period_id, rc.start_date, rc.end_date, 

FROM schedule_room AS sr
JOIN schedules AS s
  ON s.id =sr.scheduleid
JOIN studentrecord_daily AS srd
  ON srd.record_date = sr.scheduledate
JOIN rc
  ON srd.record_date BETWEEN rc.start_date AND rc.end_date

WHERE srd.student_id = '3'
  AND rc.rc_period_id = '27'

Hopefully I can explain what's going on and why I'm using CAST.  If I don't need to use it then I won't but when I take it out I get "zero" results.

Thank you for the input "Psycho". After your input I removed the CAST from

CAST(schedule_room.scheduledate as Date) AS schedule_date, 

From both the SELECT and WHERE Clause... I got the same results so this CAST was not needed for this table. The time it took to process didn't improve more much if any.

The reason I need the CAST for the

CAST(studentrecord_daily.record_date as Date) AS academic_date, 

is because this record has a time in the record '2011-09-06 15:17:15' and has multiple times using the same date. I only want to check what dates they login and because they login many times in the same day I need to remove that from the results.

OUTPUT

academic_date	  student_id       schedule_date	    rc_period_id	        Start Date	End Date
2011-09-06 	   2157 	   2011-09-06 00:00:00      	69 	             2011-09-06 	2011-11-04
2011-09-07 	   2157 	   2011-09-07 00:00:00     	69 	             2011-09-06 	2011-11-04
2011-09-08 	   2157 	   2011-09-08 00:00:00     	69 	             2011-09-06 	2011-11-04
2011-09-09 	   2157 	   2011-09-09 00:00:00     	69 	             2011-09-06 	2011-11-04 		
2011-09-13 	   2157 	   2011-09-13 00:00:00     	69 	             2011-09-06 	2011-11-04

By using CAST on academic_date I have removed the "time" element...

I tried to modify my code using joins and the DATE method. I also changed the script so I don't use the rc table for now:

SELECT DISTINCT DATE(studentrecord_daily.record_date),
studentrecord_daily.student_id,
schedule_room.scheduledate,
schedule_room.scheduleid, 
schedules.id,
schedules.gf, 
schedules.schedule_desc 

FROM schedule_room

JOIN schedules 
ON schedules.id = schedule_room.scheduleid
JOIN studentrecord_daily 
ON DATE(studentrecord_daily.record_date ) = schedule_room.scheduledate

WHERE studentrecord_daily.student_id = '3'
AND studentrecord_daily.record_date >= '2011-09-06'
AND studentrecord_daily.record_date <= '2011-11-04'

But this didn't change the fact it took over 90 seconds to run...

Showing rows 0 - 23 (24 total, Query took 91.2779 sec) 

I must be missing something here... currently it would take over 1 hour to look up 30 students records..ahh!

Any ideas?

Are you running this query in PHPMyAdmin (or something similar) or are you running it through PHP code. If only through PHP try running it in your database management app.

Also, a couple other things:

1. Try changing the WHERE clause for the two date checks to a BETWEEN clause instead of two separate checks.

2. Try indexing the columns that you are using in your WHERE and JOIN clauses.

Lastly, you should run your query as an "EXPLAIN" query. Preface the select with "EXPLAIN". The output gives details about the efficiency of your query that you can improve upon. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/using-explain.html

I did try the "BETWEEN" and using phpMyadmin interface and only gained "1" second. I did read about the Explained and the follow report shows my issues from the query.

|    TABLE                        |  type   | possible_keys | key            |key_len |	ref 	                           | rows       | Extra   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| schedule_room	      |  ALL 	     |     NULL 	      | NULL 	 |  NULL   |	NULL 	                   | 39168      | Using temporary
| schedules 	              |  eq_ref | PRIMARY 	      | PRIMARY   |    4       |schedule_room.scheduleid |	1 	     |
| studentrecord_daily     | ALL 	     |     NULL 	       | NULL 	 |  NULL  |	NULL 	                           | 179812    | Using where; Using join buffer

I'm not sure how to "Index" a table that has another field indexed...

|    TABLE                      |  type    | possible_keys | key          |key_len | ref                           | rows        | Extra 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| schedule_room       |  ALL      |    NULL     | NULL |  NULL  | NULL                           | 39168      | Using temporary

| schedules               |  eq_ref | PRIMARY     | PRIMARY    |    4      |schedule_room.scheduleid | 1       |

| studentrecord_daily    | ALL     |    NULL     | NULL |  NULL  | NULL                           | 179812    | Using where; Using join buffer

I'm re-posting the EXPLAINED so that its readable. My question is how do the Index say the studentrecord_daily table for this query when

it already has an "id" that is auto_increment? Or does that matter?

You can index ANY column in your table. Indexing a column makes it faster when querying with that data where the MySQL engine has to do comparisons against those columns (i.e. in WHERE clauses, joins, etc.). Your primary key fields (i.e. auto-increments) are typically indexed by default. And you should index the foreign keys as well so doing JOINS are quicker. But, don't needlessly index columns that aren't used much for comparisons.

To index additional columns in a table, go to the table in PHPMyAdmin and select the "Structure" tab. You should have two grids on the page. The top grid shows all the fields in the table with a list of properties and actions available for each. The bottom grid shows all the indexed fields. To index a field, find it in the top grid and on the very right-hand side you should see an icon of a table with a lightning bolt on it. Click it and that field will be indexed.

However, I'm curious why your queries are taking so long. Unless you have a ton of records, 90 seconds is way too long. Are you sure you are using the correct field types for your data?

Thank you for the index info... I was reading that it could increase speed to change the type from the EXPLAINED report because "ALL"  is the worst case. The number of record's in the studentrecord_daily is 179,812 rows currently.

I just checked the datatypes (schedule_room.scheduledate, studentrecord_daily.record_date) and  the fields I'm working with are varchar(255)... I'm assuming that's not good!!

I just checked the datatypes (schedule_room.scheduledate, studentrecord_daily.record_date) and  the fields I'm working with are varchar(255)... I'm assuming that's not good!!

Um, yeah. That is why I asked back on my first post why you were using CAST() to cast fields into DATE types when they should already have been date types. That is most likely the cause of all your problems. If you want MySQL to do comparisons of data (for example checking if a date is greater or less than another date) then MySQL needs those objects to be dates. Instead MySQL is having to convert ALL those fields into types it can work with THEN do the comparison.

In addition to changing your date fields to date types I hope you are using INT types for the ID fields.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.